• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best tips for sharing sample harddrive?

Best tips for sharing sample harddrive?

I am about to receive a new laptop that I will be installing all of my current software on, but I'd like to share my sample harddrive (not at the same time) with both my current desktop system and my new laptop.
    Is there a good procedure to use to do this as painlessly as possible? (ie: not having to run a complete install w/ samples just to get the plugin working)
    I have: Logic Pro 7, Kontakt II, RMX, Atmosphere, Trilogy, Sonic Implants Strings, and several other AU's. Thanks

Re: Best tips for sharing sample harddrive?

I was about to post a very similar question. I have all my samples on my FireWire, but keep the Sample Instruments in Logic on my system drive. I'm wondering if it would work better to create aliases on my system drive. Everytime I boot up Logic, I have to wait a few minutes for the "tree to update."

I'd like to know the best way to keep as much as I can (sample instruemtns, samples, etc) on an external drive and continue to use Logic on my laptop and desktop.

Yes, exactly.
    Anyone out there that's set up like this?

EDIT: oops, just realized you're on a mac, so my answer isn't especially helpful. I'll leave the post up in case any PC users have a similar question ***

I don't share my samples over a network, but I do share a drive by swapping it physically between computers.

I install my Kontakt Players on both my laptop and desktop. Then I install my libraries on a 7200rpm external HD (I have a 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar in a bus-powered enclosure).

On both computers I set this drive to be called X:, this way I don't have to worry about the path changing whenever my computer chooses a different drive letter. (To do this: Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Storage / Disk Management | Right click the drive and choose "Change Path" ).

This way I can swap the drive back and forth, throw it in my laptop case and bring it with me, etc.

I'm not sure about your libraries, but if I recall correctly, most of my NI-Kontakt Player installations had separate checkboxes for "Install Player" and "Install Library" so you should be able to just install the player, and then go into the player and change the path to direct it to your external drive. Haven't tried installing it this way though, so I'm not 100% certain.

Chapel Hill, NC

I go for the LAN route. If you have Gigabit Ethernet all around, it should be just as fast as Firewire.

Sorry RIchard, but you mis-understand. This is an either/or situation.
    ie: I have a desktop that has a f/w HD with all my samples from various libs on it, and I have a laptop that I can take with me, grab the sample HD, plug it in and presto, same access to the same samples that my plugins can see.

I know this can be done, I'm just trying to avoid the extra time of some trial and error to get it right, by asking for tips from anyone who's done the same thing.
    The laptop comes today, so one way or the other.........

Go Back to forum