• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt 2 takes time to settle

Kontakt 2 takes time to settle

I use Kontakt 2 for two purposes. The first is as a VST plug-in in Sonar for composing with, and the second is in stand-alone mode to play my keyboard.

My question:

Why does it take Kontakt so long to sample smoothly? When I open it in stand-alone mode, for example, and load up the Steinway D (lite, no convolution) every note clicks until I have played it a few times, after which it settles down and plays smoothly. I assume Kontakt is only loading samples as and when they're needed and after they're played a few times, it stores them in memory. If this is the case, is there a way of making Kontakt load all the samples in an instrument before you press a key so that it is ready to sample smoothly straight away?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with Kontakt, but it does niggle that it has to "warm up" before it works properly!

Thanks for your help.

Re: Kontakt 2 takes time to settle

Just to give it a guess (because the same thing always happens to me after lunch) I think it's related to DFD and the hard drive going to sleep. Sometimes when I double click the drive where the samples are located it takes about ten seconds for the window to open.

In System Perferences in OSX in the Energy Saver panel there is a check box that says "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible." I think I'll uncheck it and see if that helps.

Go Back to forum