• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending

Share/Bookmark

Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending

I would like to share another arrangement by Nigel Horne (http://www.bandsman.co.uk/) on the 18th century hymn tune "Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending". Mr. Horne has set this work for very large brass band, pipe organ and four-part male chorus (TTBB).

http://www.bandsman.co.uk/sounds/LoHeComes.mp3

My rendering of Mr. Horne's Finale notation arrangement uses brass from both the GPO and JABB libraries. In part due to the large number of brass instruments involved and also the type and sound qualities of each instrument that best fit the piece. I used the Full Organ for the pipe organ and a four part string ensemble (Vla, Vla, Vlc and D.B.) for the four-part chorus, lacking any VST vocal sounds.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending

Joyous.

Organ and brass together raise the spirit as no other combination.

It would take quite a choir to match the strength here.

What ambience settings did you use?

I have often used strings to fill vocal parts for the same reason you have here. I hope Gary someday develops a choral sound library for us.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    I would like to share another arrangement by Nigel Horne (http://www.bandsman.co.uk/) on the 18th century hymn tune "Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending". Mr. Horne has set this work for very large brass band, pipe organ and four-part male chorus (TTBB).

www.garybricault.com
    Ah, one of my favourites Gary. Another fine effort - I enjoyed this. In view of the large forces at work here I might perhaps have taken it just a tiny tad slower - but that's a very minor personal preference. And I'll probably change my mind on further listening as it's equally important to keep things moving. Excellent rendering - thanks for sharing this. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis
    Joyous.

Organ and brass together raise the spirit as no other combination.

It would take quite a choir to match the strength here.

What ambience settings did you use?

I have often used strings to fill vocal parts for the same reason you have here. I hope Gary someday develops a choral sound library for us.
    '

Tom,

Thanks for your kind comments. I agree that Mr. Horne's use of brass and organ is very hard to beat. Nothing fills a church as well as that combination in my opinion.

As for the ambience setting, I use the default settings except as follows;

Decay Time approx 1400, Decay Diffusion approx 25%.

I have found that these work well for providing a good sense of presence in the music and letting the instruments speak clearly, even in rapid passages, without getting lost or muddy.

Yes it would be nice if I had a choral library and yes a true brass band library

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    Ah, one of my favourites Gary. Another fine effort - I enjoyed this. In view of the large forces at work here I might perhaps have taken it just a tiny tad slower - but that's a very minor personal preference. And I'll probably change my mind on further listening as it's equally important to keep things moving. Excellent rendering - thanks for sharing this. Graham
    Graham,

Thanks for your kind comments on this fine work. I used the tempi in the score that Mr. Horne sent to me. Certainly there is always room for variations in tempo. But I like the grand, stately feeling that is presented here by this work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

There's something about that suspension and resolution present in hymns like this. I love them, especially when there's brass involved.

Thanks for sharing this great rendering of a fantastic arrangement!

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    There's something about that suspension and resolution present in hymns like this. I love them, especially when there's brass involved.

Thanks for sharing this great rendering of a fantastic arrangement!
    I agree with your comments about the suspensions and subsequent resolutions. Youo never quite get the feeling of full completion until the end of the piece. It really holds on to you right to the end. And Mr. Horne did a great job of carrying it a step further with his lush arranging. And the finishing touch being the addition of the GPO instruments.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I must say I'm becoming quite an admirer of
    Nigel Horne's work.

Very nice job on this, Gary. Most enjoyable!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum