• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A New Beginning/The Void

Share/Bookmark

A New Beginning/The Void

Here are two songs from a space epic I started about a year ago.

http://www.gamesare.com/A_New_Beginning.mp3

http://www.gamesare.com/The_Void.mp3

The first is part of an introduction sequence, mankind preparing to go into space, entering a new era, etc. The second is a longer piece which kind of follows the explorers first arriving at their new mysterious destination, preparing to colonize and conquer, and then trying to cope with the hardships of a harsh alien environment.

Both have sort of a big, distant sound but try to retain a bit of a human touch. A lot of sounds and effects are thrown in lol, but string passages and layered brass and percussion are all GPO. Also, this were the first time I used the wonderful Symphony Of Voices samples.

They have kind of a different flavor than the rest of the stuff I posted, but hopefully y'all enjoy listening to them

Re: A New Beginning/The Void

Hi Sam,

These are really two great pieces. Each certainly has their own personality as one would expect given the reason for their composition. Outstanding orchestration too.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

New York No Times - thursday 14th september 2006

From our special correspondent

NASA. From the launchsite a new spaceshuttle was launched to explore the deep space. As already said: "Mankind goes where no one ever said foot on". This whole project, kept secret from the media, started with a spectacular, movie like, press release. The whole presentation outscaled everything seen on earth. Soundeffects were awsome and composed by Sam Dillard, until now an unknown composer of outstanding quality.
    I am waiting for this first newspaper announcement.

Raymond

A wrote a piece titled 'A New Beginning' back in 1975. Believe it or not, I am currantly putting it to GPO.

Thanks for the really nice comments, they really help my morale right about now since my operating system crashed today and I had to buy a new hard drive, and will have to re-install EVERYTHING, which will take days... Also lost some new songs I was working on, which really upsets me since I could never replace them. Heh, also lost many of my custom samples and instruments.... ugh... must hold back... tears....

I did buy a Serial ATA hard drive though, maybe i will get better performance out of it, anyone using one?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Dillard
    Thanks for the really nice comments, they really help my morale right about now since my operating system crashed today and I had to buy a new hard drive, and will have to re-install EVERYTHING, which will take days... Also lost some new songs I was working on, which really upsets me since I could never replace them. Heh, also lost many of my custom samples and instruments.... ugh... must hold back... tears....

I did buy a Serial ATA hard drive though, maybe i will get better performance out of it, anyone using one?
    WOW what a supreme bummer! And loosing some custom stuff is even worse. It's a little late to suggest this but in the future you might consider having a mirror drive as a ongoing backup and/or save periodically your key work, projects and materials to a CD or DVD occasionally.

SATA is a special very high speed interface that should give you very good performance. I am not using one myself but have used them on other projects.

Good luck on your system recovery!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I got another hard drive, as well as an external USB drive which have libraries on them, but both are mostly taken up by 3d work lol. I was just lazy and had some stuff on the desktop for convenience... shoulda known better

But maybe the annoying Cubase metronome/midi input lag will be fixed now lol

Sam,
    These two pieces contain some very strong writing. I found them both quite enjoyable. I know what you're going through with a toasted drive, it happened to me too. I now upload all of my important files to my FTP as a means of back up.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

lol, now I am having trouble with Cubase (keeps crashing when loading vst instruments) and GPO won't load the libraries "cannot find suitable contentfile" though it is pointed right at the GPO Library directory... *dies*

Excellent job on these, as usual, Sam! Richly visual,
    moving writing. Both of these excerpts are real
    knock-outs... but The Void is just stunningly good
    writing and execution.

Bravo!

I'd be most interested to see scores of some of your
    work.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum