• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaPulse Tutorial

Share/Bookmark

GigaPulse Tutorial

Recently, I wrote a GigaPulse tutorial for Tascam. It's now up on their site!

The idea is that we want to create a complete soundstage, and we want to do it efficiently. You can't just throw a new impulse location at every instrument in the orchestra, unless you have a rack full of PCs.

The tutorial shows how to setup your GigaPulse instances and do all of the routing in GS3's DSP Mixer to get the most bang for the buck. With three impulse locations, you can place every instrument in your orchestra. I even included an audio demo.

http://www.tascamgiga.com/gp/intro.html

Let me know if you find the tutorial to be helpful.

Re: GigaPulse Tutorial

Hi Jon,

I just have read this tutorial. It's indeed very well written.

I think that many will find it useful. Maybe it could be possible
    to do an addon to this article on how to setup Gigapulse in a different way
    maybe with more sophisticated routing and with some predefined fxp/fxb files
    for download.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Hi Przemek,

Great idea about the fxp/fxbs.

What do you have in mind with "how to setup Gigapulse in a different way
    maybe with more sophisticated routing"? It would be cool to get even more from the technology.

BTW, I'm glad you found the tutorial to be well written. It was a challenge to include all of the little details without making it too wordy - but if I had skipped the details, the end user might miss a critical step. Hopefully the pictures and the step-by-step process does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Hi Przemek,

Great idea about the fxp/fxbs.

What do you have in mind with "how to setup Gigapulse in a different way
    maybe with more sophisticated routing"? It would be cool to get even more from the technology.

BTW, I'm glad you found the tutorial to be well written. It was a challenge to include all of the little details without making it too wordy - but if I had skipped the details, the end user might miss a critical step. Hopefully the pictures and the step-by-step process does the trick.
    The idea to include the pictures was great, especially because this way you can see what to do and do it step by step.

What I meant by "how to setup Gigapulse in a different way
    maybe with more sophisticated routing", was the signal routing with in the DSP station.

In your example you routed the several signals from the DSP inputs to 3 groups from which you then sent the signal of each group to 3 Aux Busses loaded with GP.

I experimented a little bit with a different approach.

I loaded the 3 instances of GP into the groups, and an NFX reverb ( has a nice lush sound ) in a AUX buss. From within the groups I sent a little bit of the 3 signals (near middle far ) to the AUX buss.(prefader)

When I first bought GS3 I also tried the " only one Gp instance" way, where you had L-R , Lw-Rw and Mid enabled at the same time with many seat positions. ( CPU hog, but sounded quite nice).

There are many possibilities to "play" with GP.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Jon:

Thanks to your earlier postings, some of this wishdom was allready mine and used. However, a few things I missed, and by Jeepers they were important and now knowing them made a heck of a difference for me. It took me an hour or so to set things up a la Fairhurst, but it worked and thanks. And thanks again.

Ted

Hi Ted,

I'm glad to hear that this helped!

One of my goals with the tutorial was to walk the reader through the entire path without skipping any detail. I tested it on my son who had never used GS in his life. Sure enough, I found some holes and was able to plug them.

Hopefully it sounds good too.

Smile Re: GigaPulse Tutorial

Thanks, Jon! This is first class work!

Your method is a slick way of creating a soundstage without breaking the "resources" bank.

Like Ted, I worked through the tutorial.

I especially liked the use of graphics: the signal flow block diagram was nice, and the pointers drawn on the screenshots were very effective.

Your "utility infielders" comment brought a smile, and was apropos.

Re: your mp3 demo

Thanks for keeping it short! (dialup)

I listened to your demo a dozen times late last night, trying to match the aural clues for the instruments with the screenshot's instrument positions.

By listen #2, I agreed with you that the bypassed (non GigaPulsed) version sounded like a joke compared to the soundstage you created.

With each passing listen I became more impressed with your work!

Lot's of air (OK, I get that it's a hall), but the clarity and separation of the instruments is really stellar!

BTW, I was able to sleep last night, no thanks to you. Your freakin' little tune isn't exactly a lullaby, and after repeated listens it was indelibly etched upon my brain!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Miz
    ...BTW, I was able to sleep last night, no thanks to you. Your freakin' little tune isn't exactly a lullaby, and after repeated listens it was indelibly etched upon my brain!
    He, he. It probably wouldn't help if I told you that when you play it backwards you can hear sheep counting humans.

Glad you enjoyed it. BTW, all of the voices are staccato or similar, which helps give the piece its space.

Hi Jon,

very good job on the tutorial,.
    I wish someone would go through this type of detail with a LS Drum kit.

Got any tips for that ?

best-

Peter

Go Back to forum