• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Does Overture4-SE have GPO integration?

Share/Bookmark

Does Overture4-SE have GPO integration?

We know well that Overture3-SE does not.... but does the cheap/free Overture4 SE have GPO integration? (When I say "integration" I mean you can control it directly from the software, no need to load it seperately and try to make the two communicate... load instruments one by one.... ugh.)

If Ov.4SE has that integration.... is there any way to get a copy of it cheap-as-free? I don't have the funds to buy Finale2007 before the Christmas CD is due and I want to start working right away. Ov.4SE may be the lucky ticket to hold me by until finances improve. Heck, it may be all I need!

...in short, I need a CHEAP notation package where I can enter the notes using MIDI + keyboard for duration, or just durations, etc. I may even drop MIDI keyboard out of the picture entirely... don't want to drag with a mouse if I can help it though - too slow.

All I have now is what came with GPO 1.0 and an ancient DOS floppy disk version of Cakewalk Pro.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Re: Does Overture4-SE have GPO integration?

I don't know what you mean by the "cheap version of Overture 4 SE" but I have Overture 4 and it has VST support and yes GPO is integrated but it is the older version of the kontakt player. Regardless, it sounds fantastic!
    Styxx

A little afraid of paying for Overture4 only because it's such a small company compared to Coda's Finale - not to mention how totally integrated GPO seems to be with Finale2007.

I don't think there's any way of getting Overture4 "SE" so I'll have to just bite the bullet.... I need to order ASAP! Money money money money..... Money I just don't have.

Please tell me Overture4 will not be a wasted purchase if that's the cheapest possible route I can go for Notation + GPO Integration.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    A little afraid of paying for Overture4 only because it's such a small company compared to Coda's Finale - not to mention how totally integrated GPO seems to be with Finale2007.

I don't think there's any way of getting Overture4 "SE" so I'll have to just bite the bullet.... I need to order ASAP! Money money money money..... Money I just don't have.

Please tell me Overture4 will not be a wasted purchase if that's the cheapest possible route I can go for Notation + GPO Integration.
    Hi...

Ove 4 is very stable now and LOVES GPO. If you want to hear Overture 4 and GPO (plus a little JABB), please go here for a wind ensemble.
    Compared to Finale (I have been using Finale since 1989 or so), it is much easier to program Overture for realistic playback. Finale's MIDI tool I find very awkward compared to Overture's on-score MIDI programming AND sequencer piano-roll in which you can also draw controller info.
    I am on the GenieSoft forum to answer questions as they may arise.

I use BOTH Finale and Overture, and Overture is by far my first choice for doing a mockup or a demo if I do it in notation.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Hi,

I work alternatively in Overture 4.0 and in energyXT. In Overture when I feel more notation-oriented and in energyXT (which is cheap but great) when not.

In both programs you will load the kontakt player that comes with GPO, and then load instruments, one by one, into the player. Then you will assign a track A. first to the player and then B. to the channel where the instrument sits.

I have made up templates so I do not need to start from scratch every time.

Hope this helps. Any more questions?

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Compared to Finale (I have been using Finale since 1989 or so), it is much easier to program Overture for realistic playback. Finale's MIDI tool I find very awkward
    You don't use Finale's MIDI tool to get realistic playback. You use Human Playback and learn how to tweak (and cheat ) it.

Get ScoreWriter 4 for $59. It is the "lite" versioin of Overture 4 and will probably be exactly what you are looking for.

If you intend to get Finale eventually, then I suggest you get Print Music, it's little brother now so you can get used to the way Finale works, and it's only about $59 usd. Try Amazon.com; that's where I got my copy. It is a very capable program and some people find it does everything they want and just stay with it.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Hi,
    In both programs you will load the kontakt player that comes with GPO, and then load instruments, one by one, into the player. Then you will assign a track A. first to the player and then B. to the channel where the instrument sits.
    I was rather hoping to avoid this.... having several Kontakt players open with 8 instruments each. Pain in the rear. That was one of the reasons I kinda' liked using the seqencer Cubasis LE that came with GPO... then again, it was kinda' built the same way too wasn't it? It was integerated thanks to VST, but you still had to load the instruments into slots anyways.

The only big plus was that when you saved the song, it saved all instruments too, so you could shut down and come back to it without having to load the instruments all over again.

I'm getting the impressing Overture is fully endorsed and I won't be sorry I upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatII
    If you intend to get Finale eventually, then I suggest you get Print Music, it's little brother now so you can get used to the way Finale works, and it's only about $59 usd. Try Amazon.com; that's where I got my copy. It is a very capable program and some people find it does everything they want and just stay with it.

Tom
    Anyone know more about this one?

Go Back to forum