• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audio Setup

Audio Setup

Hello, This may seem like a dumb situation but I am having alot of trouble coordinating the Windows Mixer Master Volume Slider, Sonar Sliders, and the GPO Mod Wheel Volume limits into some sort of workable "base setting."

I have worked with normalizing system volumes in conventional (hardware) audio systems with a square wave input but cannot think where to begin in this computer setup.

I suspect the computer setup is somewhat similar but I can't seem to get a handle on it.

Any help GREATLY appreciated. - Reber Clark

Re: Audio Setup

Hi Reber,
    I am not at all familiar with the Windows mixer master volume slider, and I suppose you are referring to the volume faders in Sonar's mixer.
    I will try to help.

The GPO mod wheel is basically the same thing as air pressure blown into a wind instrument, and bow pressure on a stringed instrument. Typically most instruments in the percussion section of the orchestra can not change the dynamics after the initial attack or hit, pluck etc., ie, piano, timpani, harp etc. That is why the mod wheel does not affect these instruments. In the case of the percussion instruments, the volume and timbre is determined by the velocity of each note, just like the real thing.

Think of GPO as these real instruments being played by a real person (you),
    and a recording engineer with a tape recorder is recording your performance.
    Your job as the GPO player is to create ALL the necessary data to make the instrument sound real, mod wheel, (cc64 sustain pedal) this eliminates the sound of the attack of notes following a sustain pedal down value. In other words, if you play a legato flute line with any number of notes, and the phrase is short enough to be played with one breath, the first note would play without any sustain pedal depressed, but just before the second note is played, the sustain pedal is depressed and held for the remainder of that phrase, in order to eliminate the sound of the air shooting into the flute. This is not possible in a legato line because it is all one breath. Same thing with stringed instruments, if the line is legato, you would most likely hear the bow hit the string of the first note in the legato line, but not the rest of the notes, because the bow was not removed from the strings until after the next rest.

It is the job of the recording engineer to make sure that the volume of these instruments is just right, again (you).

The volume in the Kontakt (GPO player) only determines how loud the instruments is going to be fed into SONAR. After that, there is the volume for each of these instruments in SONAR. It is ideal that you record the instruments to separate audio tracks. You would then use the volume faders in SONAR to immaculately finese each track for balance, as well as more intricate soft entrances and decrescendos. All of these fader moves are able to be automated, so make sure and read the SONAR manual about fader automation. The difference automation makes in a mix is absolutley critical to rendering a realistic mock up.

I hope some of this helps to better understand the order in which things are done with a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW).

Re: Audio Setup

This was excellent information and I can use it. This will help in getting DAW concepts into my hardware oriented head.

The "Windows Master Mixer Silder" is the computer system's master volume fader (out to the actual room mixer/amp).

I was approaching part of my problem (signal flow) backwards as well as thinking of the Mod Wheel as "volume" instead of "expression."

Thanks so much for the clarification and help. Any other ideas appreciated.

- Reber Clark

Go Back to forum