• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audiophile 2496 and GigaStudio96 problem

Share/Bookmark

Audiophile 2496 and GigaStudio96 problem

Just installed these on ABIT BE6 Mboard,PIII 450,256MB RAM, 1 fast program drive, 1fast Giga dedicated drive. Dedicated Giga Machine. Having serious latency,note slurring problems. Anyone else run into this. Any suggestions. I\'ve only heard good things about this card so its a little suprising.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

Re: Audiophile 2496 and GigaStudio96 problem

Played with this again last night. Changed Mboards. Granted its still an old one (ABIT BH6) but the problem persists. Latency isnt so bad as its almost like the notes stutter when chording. Real strange. If I play single notes the latency is fine. Chording is what causes the strange sound.

I have exactly that setup (Audiophile 2496 & gigastudio 96) and the first computer I set it up on included an ABIT motherboard which had a VIA chipset. I managed to get things working on the ABIT motherboard however occasionally gigstudio would crash to a blue screen(!).

I mention the VIA chipset because I also have Emagic\'s Audiowerk card and it has problems with some VIA chipsets (as told to me by Emagic tech support)

I have now built a second computer which has an ASUS mother board and an intel chipset and it behaves much better in that it doesn\'t crash.....however I now get clicking in the audio reasonably frequently (my workaround is to capture things to wave when the clicking is absent).

So, what\'s the conclusion? Well, for safety, avoiding VIA chipsets seems like a good thing, but it\'s not the whole answer....

If you find out any more, please post.

I also use the Audiophile 2496 with GigaStudio 96. One thing that I noticed made a huge difference was storing the .gig files on a drive that didn\'t share an IDE channel with the OS drive. In my case, I moved all of my .gig files to an external firewire drive and the clicks went away.

Hope this helps!

--Grimfrog

Audiophile doesn\'t work well in IRQ 9..Pops and clicks. Move to any other IRQ. This is what the Audiophile technie told me.

Thanks for the replies guys. Tired all the suggestions already. Doesnt share an IRQ with anything. Its on IRQ 5 all alone. No other cards in the machine. Have GIGA program on C: drive and gigs on seperate Controller by itself. Cant figure it out. I uninstalled GStudio and treid just installing the Gigasampler LE version that came with the sound card. When I tried to fire it up I got a message (Not sure of exact wording)that send there was a low level system problem and wouldnt even start. So I tried the original version of LE I bought a couple of years ago and it installed and ran but with the same latency problems. Gonna switch from ABIT BE6 to BX6rev 2 Motherboard today. See if that does anything. Thanks again

FWIW, I have an audiophile 2496, and it works just fine. I initially installed it in an existing machine with all manner of hardware and software already installed, and I had serious problems, particularly erratic, variable latency.

So I bought a new dedicated PIII 933 Win98SE machine with an intel m/b (815 chipset) and two fast IBM HDDs. Never had a problem with the audiophile in this machine. Installs like a dream, multiclient drivers work, no latency, and pops and clicks are extremely rare. It even worked when I put it in the wrong slot and it was sharing an IRQ with the built-in AGP chip. Now has its own IRQ of 7.

I don\'t know about which m/b\'s are best, but I am a great believer in the benefits of a clean install.

UndaGiga

Thanks fot the replies. Finally gave up and went from the old ABIT BX m\'boards I had and got a CUSL2-C ASUS and everything works great. Just for info- I tried ABIT BE6,BX6rev2,BH6. All had the same problems.
    Thanks again
    Wayne

Go Back to forum