• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyboard, EQ, guitar Player, Other Magazines sold

Orcas Island

Keyboard, EQ, guitar Player, Other Magazines sold

From Yahoo News:

NEW YORK, Sept. 14 /PRNewswire/ -- The Wicks Group of Companies, L.L.C. (the "Wicks Group"), a New York-based private equity firm, today announced that it has acquired, through its affiliate NewBay Media LLC ("NewBay"), certain assets of CMP Entertainment Media, Inc., CMP Media LLC and UEMedia Community Sites, Inc. (collectively "CMP" or the "Company"), serving professional and enthusiast musicians, recording professionals, sound engineers, audio and video systems installers and technology educators. The Company's assets consist of 14 magazines, eight events, numerous supplements and newsletters, custom products, and over 20 rapidly growing online properties. Major business-to-consumer titles acquired include Guitar Player, Bass Player, and Keyboard magazines; business-to-business titles include Pro Sound News, Systems Contractor News, Residential Systems, Videography, Government Video, DV, Technology & Learning and Television Broadcast magazines. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Re: Keyboard, EQ, guitar Player, Other Magazines sold

As a freelancer, I've written several articles for both Guitar Player and Keyboard, going back to about 1989.

I think this is about the third time they've changed ownership in their 35-plus year history.

It's awfully hard for print magazines in niche markets to make it in the Internet age.

I have no idea what their circulation numbers are, but I've observed that it's very hard to find these magazines on newsstands in the present day. Ten or fifteen years ago you could find Guitar Player and Keyboard in most grocery store magazine racks, and certainly at any newsstand or bookstore.

Just last month I was only able to locate one lone bookstore in the entire Metro Atlanta area that stocks Keyboard.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Go Back to forum