On a recent piece, I discovered some difficulty with the piccolo instrument. I have written a piece at 150 BPM that inlcudes a passage for tongued 16th notes for piccolo. It's a very important passage. The problem is not only will the inst. not play the fast notes, it won't play anything at all for that section. I am wondering if 1) anyone else has encountered this, and 2) if there are any suggestions. Here is some more info about the problem:
1. BPM = 150
2. I have set the 2 var. controls at about 10%
3. I have randomized the key velocities so that they are not all exactly equal and repetitive, especially emphasizing downbeats, because that's how a real player would control this passage.
4. I can get other instruments (flute, clarinet) to play this passage, but it needs to be piccolo.
5. The passage will play up to about 140 BPM; but any higher than that it gets worse until it finally just stops playing around 150.
6. The passage is a lot of repeated notes in a row, with occasional moving notes.
7. I have tried different note lengths (full value, mid, short), but it doesn't play at any note length.
8. My PC is a very fast mega-PC with tons of RAM, and the piccolo is the only inst. going. I always just use 1 inst. at a time, so there aren't any other insts. or programs taking up resources.
Again, if anyone else has found this, and espcially if you have solved it, I would appreciate your feedback.