• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Keyboard Synths

Share/Bookmark

Keyboard Synths

Hello,

I would like to know what keyboard you recommend for composing (not performing on stage). I'm debating whether to purchase the Yamaha Tyros, the Kurzweil 2600, and the Yamaha Motif ES 8. Any suggestions?

Re: Keyboard Synths

I haven't played the 2600 but I know that Yamaha makes great actions / keybeds.
    The downside to Yamaha, at least the s90 is that it's not a "real" synth.
    It's a sample player.
    If you're truely into synthesis then take that into consideration.

Are you planning to use the built in sequencer or are you looking for a sound source only? If you don't need the sequencer, the Yamaha S90ES has all of the sounds of the Motif ES8 plus... a vastly improved acoustic piano.
    JP

I'm looking for the "top of the line" keyboard sound-quality wise. I'm using the keyboard as a "sound source" and as a "composition sketch" tool. I compose off the piano quite often as a first step towards mixing using sequencers like "Nuendo", "Protools 7" and "Digital Orchestrator Pro".

I'm aware that Kurzweil 2600 had great reviews. But I'm not all familiar with the Yamaha S90ES, which I will do some research later. Any others?

I have a Roland XP-80 at home that I love and a Roland Fantom S-88 that I use ay work. I've always been a sucker for the Roland sound. Lots of expansion capabilities with decent sound sets.

2 cents,

Darren

Ps Triton?
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I prefer the feel of the Yamaha, but the Roland has better sounds and expasion capabilitieds. Another thing, the Roland is much easier to maneuver and edit sounds and settings than the Yamaha, which is not very logical. The latest Roland Piano is also nicer than the the Yamaha.

Get a Roland Fantom X(choose your size)You won't be sorry.

http://www.rolandus.com/multimedia/f.../srx_demo.html

Listen to "Complete Orchestra"(lower left,orange card)

Roland is just better,all-around.

Quote Originally Posted by kavenyk
    Hello,

I would like to know what keyboard you recommend for composing (not performing on stage). I'm debating whether to purchase the Yamaha Tyros, the Kurzweil 2600, and the Yamaha Motif ES 8. Any suggestions?
    What kind of composing do you do? What style(s) of music?
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

I have also been a fan of the Roland sound sets,

is your budget able to look at the Korg oasis??
    www.energiestudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattdean
    I prefer the feel of the Yamaha, but the Roland has better sounds and expasion capabilitieds. Another thing, the Roland is much easier to maneuver and edit sounds and settings than the Yamaha, which is not very logical. The latest Roland Piano is also nicer than the the Yamaha.
    I'd agree the Roland is easier to navigate,expansions in both are plentiful but the piano sounds better in the Roland???....I own both the X and the ES version and upon A B testing the piano patches in my quiet studio, there is a very noticeable quality difference...The Roland sounds good and very playable but the Yamaha when playing back the same material has a bigger,fuller bottom end and the highs are more defined with an airyness....It reminds me more of a nice sample library piano then the Roland....Drums are more in your face,type of presence too....Yamaha's new XS is suppose to be even more realistic yet so on the sound side I would largely disagree on acoustic type sounds anyway...BUT I will agree you will have to throw out everything you know about keyboards at this point and be prepared to live with the manual for weeks until you learn what makes it tick....That can be very frustrating and seem like a waste of time but the payoff of very high quality sounds is worth the time....

Go Back to forum