• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Please Comment On Mix (sort of Rush-like)

Share/Bookmark

Please Comment On Mix (sort of Rush-like)

Well, its been about a year and I (finally) am about to finish up a new one. Its probably is a little Rush-like, with some interesting time signatures.

Please offer any comments on the mix (for example, is the kick too low?).

I will probably look to have someone else master it, so the RMS is not correct at this point(its too low).

Here is the link (its the first one, called Time-Space Continuum):
    www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness

(I was trying to set up an account so I could upload it to myspace.com for people who do not like soundclick, but I had some technical difficulties. The said, I have never been spammed by soundclick (in fact, I don't think I ever even received an e-mail from them).

Thank you for any help you can offer.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Re: Please Comment On Mix (sort of Rush-like)

Hey man - Sounds good!
    Obviously the volume is too low for me to hear it well, but I like the textures you have in there. The bass is way too loud and so is the synth in the middle. This “Rush, textural, orchestral, ambient” kinda thing that you and I like is also probably one of the hardest things to try and mix. The guitars and ambient stuff need to be placed in the stereo field a little better to give a wider image- plus they need a lot of ambience of some kind. The music is cool too, although it tends to hover around in the same tonal center. I like the “break” - this kinda stuff needs to breath or fatigue sets in real quick.
    This is tough to pull off but keep going!

BTW, I’ll PM you my email. If you send it to me, I’ll host it for you so people don’t have to log on or stream it. – But only if I get to play with the overall mix a bit.

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

soundclick is a great site, except the low quality steaming. Nice tune, Your volume is ridiculously low, Anyway to get it at least louder on the master buss. Not talking mastering level, but this is really quite. I agreee with the above comments on the bass being to loud and also the synth needs to come down quite a bit. But other then that, I had to crank up my volume all the way to just get a sence of it.
    www.energiestudios.com

harmonically- cool ideas. My feeling is the weakest point is the drum fill at 232 and the repeat of same at 440. Sounds very sloppy and not in the same ballpark as your other stuff. Re-do.bring up the bass drum. Also -some of the synth sounds stand out as way too loud. When you re-mix ,turn it way down and listen to what pops out. But again-cool ideas.

Cool, thanks!

Brian, I pm'ed ya.

So, in addition to the low volume, bring down the synth parts that jut out, bring down the bass, and bring up the kick.

Also, I will look into adding some 'verb to the guitars (or is there something more exotic you are suggesting?). I willl have to think about that drum fill.

I appreciate the comments. Keep em' coming!

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Here ya go boss:

http://scoringhouse.com/Jeffn/TimeSpaceContinuum.mp3

(hope I didn't to more harm than good! LOL!!! )

Man, I put it in Sound Forge - It was a flat line. If I had normalized it to peak RMS it still would have been a flat line - hehe.
    So I pumped the volume, ran it through a spectrum anyl - got rid of a few peaks and mountains, threw it back into SoundForge and 'Zoned it. (I played with the stereo imaging by frequency a tad). Lowered the bass a little - but the synth patch, I couldn't isolate (esp since I did it in under 5 min).

At least you can hear it now. Hope I didn't butcher it. You'll need to fix the drums ( I always do sloppy drums on demos figuring that I am a drummer and will use triggers later anyway - but I'm always too lazy (unless it is a final project)) . Also add some ambience to the pads and stuff and send them to the back and sides. And throw that one synth patch waaaay back.
    Then write the next section.

P.S. Don't forget the Power Profile option that Papa set up to host your stuff.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    Here ya go boss:

http://scoringhouse.com/Jeffn/TimeSpaceContinuum.mp3

(hope I didn't to more harm than good! LOL!!! )

Man, I put it in Sound Forge - It was a flat line. If I had normalized it to peak RMS it still would have been a flat line - hehe.
    So I pumped the volume, ran it through a spectrum anyl - got rid of a few peaks and mountains, threw it back into SoundForge and 'Zoned it. (I played with the stereo imaging by frequency a tad). Lowered the bass a little - but the synth patch, I couldn't isolate (esp since I did it in under 5 min).

At least you can hear it now. Hope I didn't butcher it. You'll need to fix the drums ( I always do sloppy drums on demos figuring that I am a drummer and will use triggers later anyway - but I'm always too lazy (unless it is a final project)) . Also add some ambience to the pads and stuff and send them to the back and sides. And throw that one synth patch waaaay back.
    Then write the next section.

P.S. Don't forget the Power Profile option that Papa set up to host your stuff.
    Thanks! I don't have a chance to listen to it now, but I will later.

Well, it looks like its "back to work".

jeffn1

Yep. Nice tune but the drums don't do it justice. The snare sounds like a bad and repetitive sample from any old synth (too much snares and too little top and every hit is the same) and the kick sounds like it's been hit with a woolly hat. Do you have any Drumkit From Hell stuff? Lower the acoustic guitars and especially the synths and raise the guitars and drums. Make a dedicated drum group with a compressor. I would start with making the drums and bass rock and added the rest after that. And yes, even Brian's version is too quiet. You lose a lot of bit depth when releasing something with such a low level even for demonstrational purposes. Overall it sounds like you've been listening to it with too high volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by janila
    Yep. Nice tune but the drums don't do it justice. The snare sounds like a bad and repetitive sample from any old synth (too much snares and too little top and every hit is the same) and the kick sounds like it's been hit with a woolly hat. Do you have any Drumkit From Hell stuff? Lower the acoustic guitars and especially the synths and raise the guitars and drums. Make a dedicated drum group with a compressor. I would start with making the drums and bass rock and added the rest after that. And yes, even Brian's version is too quiet. You lose a lot of bit depth when releasing something with such a low level even for demonstrational purposes. Overall it sounds like you've been listening to it with too high volumes.
    Thanks for listening and commenting. I used EZ Drummer (default pop/rock kit), without further processing. Do you think increasing the top snare mic would help? I will look into it.

jeffn1

New version up:

www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness

I lowered the bass a little, raised the kick a little, and compressed the level of the synth lead and guitar harmonics a little.

I tried some other suggestions (like replacing the drum fill), but I preferred the original.

Now, perhaps, off to mastering.

jeffn1

Go Back to forum