• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best stereo mic pre under £300

Best stereo mic pre under £300

Hi. I'm looking to buy a new stereo mic pre for my studio. I'm currently using a Studio Projects VTB1 which is pretty darn good for the £60 I paid for it! I don't need eq/compression etc, just a decent sounding pre. I've heard good things about the SPL Goldmike, Focusrite TwinTrak and ART MPA Gold. Which do you think is best out of these and is there anything else in the price range that you would recommend?

Re: Best stereo mic pre under £300

Thanks, looks really good. I'll check out some reviews!!

Re: Best stereo mic pre under £300

When I gave you that link a few days ago, I was in a rush to get out the door.so, I wanted to add that FMR is probably one of the finest "highend" companies around. They have a huge underground following. That is to say that while I think their advertising budget isn't huge, you'd never know it by the quality of their products. I have the RNC (really nice compressor) and it's just amazing. The price, though, is the icing on the cake.
    I really don't think you would be dissapointed. Besides, how can one go wrong with names like" Really Nice Compressor" ? Let us know what you end up getting. Goodluck!

'edit-one more thought-The newer Mackie boards have VERY nice mic pres in their board. Many think they rival 2k compressors. No color just incredibly quiet and accurate (that's the buzz anyway)

Go Back to forum