• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Back to the Future complete sheet score

Share/Bookmark

Back to the Future complete sheet score

I just received this email... I thought it could be interesting as a study of Hollywood underscoring techniques

"I'm beginning the process of getting a score published, however,
    there needs to be enough interest. Would you please pass the word around,
    and have your friends email me as to what interest there would be to have
    a published score to Back To The Future. Universal won't budge unless
    there is hard evidence as to the number of people who would be interested
    in a fully bound edition of the entire score available for purchase to the
    film score community."

So, if you're interested you can send your requests to tjrodier@yahoo.com.

Re: Back to the Future complete sheet score

Heh. Not going to happen. Now, if someone was making a similiar request for LOTR, or Star Wars, or a Zimmer score. That'd be a different story. You think right? Nope. The studio doesn't own the copyright to the score. They own the right to use the score "in whatever way they deem necessary" (for lack of actual contract language), but they do not own the copyright - the composer does. Therefore, it would be up to the composer to publish the score. This guy would have to contact the composer's agent. Sounds like a scam to me.

Cheers.

I heard some of the studios own the composer's copyrights (Zimmer's score from Crimson tide, for ex)...

Anyhow, I'd love to happen...why do u think this guy would do some scam with that?? I'm sure there are bigger markets for Scam

A scam, eh? Maybe he's a film composer himself, and figures that the only people who would care about this would be other film composers. Then, once he has a big list of all our email addresses, he'd send all kinds of trojans and viruses our way, in an effort to eliminate some of the competition.

I've been working on similarly evil anticomposer scams myself. More on this later......... >:-)

(I kid, I kid....)

((....kinda......))
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by RiffWraith
    The studio doesn't own the copyright to the score. They own the right to use the score "in whatever way they deem necessary" (for lack of actual contract language), but they do not own the copyright - the composer does.
    Really, Universal doesn't own the copyright to the Back to the Future Score? Damn...that Alan Silvestri must have some SERIOUS clout...

Ok, with plenty of courage LOL , I decided to send the guy an email...well, he answered, he seems nice, he told me he's trying to convince studios that there's enough market for releasing movie scores...

From what I understood, he has the score and Universal may have asked him to prove this could work...

The copyright to a filmscore is invariably owned by the studio (through their own publishing company) and almost never by the composer.

Maybe this is just semantics, but I want to make sure I have this straight. Whenever you do a "work for hire" (which is what film scoring is) the person paying for the work owns the copyright. Now for the score to be published, is it required that they also own the publishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Roget
    A scam, eh? Maybe he's a film composer himself, and figures that the only people who would care about this would be other film composers. Then, once he has a big list of all our email addresses, he'd send all kinds of trojans and viruses our way, in an effort to eliminate some of the competition.

I've been working on similarly evil anticomposer scams myself. More on this later......... >:-)

(I kid, I kid....)

((....kinda......))
    BLASTS Roget! I will get you yet, and your little dog too.
    Sean Beeson
    www.seanbeeson.com
    Composer for videogames, film and television

A composer typically always has to transfer the publishing rights (because the studio wants to control the release of soundtrack CD's, etc).

I can't imagine why a studio might want to publish printed scores. That is SOOO marginal for their type of business.

Get some John Williams scores, they can be found everywhere. Silvestri is simply not "icon" of "God" enough for getting his scores out in print. Sad but true.

Personally I would love to have the printed scores of Batman (Elfman), The Mummy Returns (Silvestri!), Treasure Planet (JNH) and many others. I only have a pile of classical scores and one from JW...

Go Back to forum