• Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: What Courses Would You Like to See?

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • Instrumentation:

39 17.41%
  • Jazz Arrangement

62 27.68%
  • Writing for Strings

68 30.36%
  • Comparing Multiple Orchestrations

28 12.50%
  • Common Problems/Mistakes in Orchestration

94 41.96%
  • Critiquing Orchestrations

19 8.48%
  • Focused Composition

48 21.43%
  • Orchestrating With Samples

97 43.30%
  • Other (Specify Below in Post)

8 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: What's Next after the Online Interactive Principles of Orchestration

Share/Bookmark

Question What's Next after the Online Interactive Principles of Orchestration

Question What's Next after the Online Interactive Principles of Orchestration

The Interactive Principles of Orchestration has been a resounding success with over 100,000 views. I appreciate how well the course has been received in the press and colleges and universities have expressed interest in adopting the course for use in their music curriculums. It has been very rewarding to see how learners have benefited and progressed. This course will continue to be ongoing.

In furtherance of our commitment to education we are exploring some new ideas for future coursework.

The first run-through of the course willl be completed in November and it's time to start planning for the next courses.

Professor Alan Belkin and other professors have offered to do some master classes. A few ideas for short (3 - 5 lesson) master classes we are considering:
    • Instrumentation: A course on instrumentation which is a pre-requeisite the the Rimsky text may be a good thing to explore next.
    • Jazz Arrangement - We have been working on providing a Jazz course.
    • Comparing multiple orchestrations of the same music (a short given passage)
    • Writing for Strings
    • Common problems/mistakes in orchestration and their solutions - - Learning the pitfalls can help you become a better orchestrator.
    • Critiquing orchestrations (members given a skeletal piece to orchestrate and becritiqued)
    • Focused Composition (learning composition and focusing on phrases)
    • Orchestrating with Samples - An advanced class focusing on orchestral midi-mockups.
    Please vote in the above poll and you can vote for more than one.

Would you be willing to pay for such classes that have guided and individual instruction? Or would you prefer ithey remain totally free?

What else would you like to see and what ideas do you have for a bettter learning experience?

Thanks in Advance,

Gary Garritan

Re: What's Next after the Online Interactive Principles of Orchestration

I think jazz would be a great next step, as it would flow into all other areas of your composition and orchestration together.

I'd prefer if they remained free obviously, but I wouldn't mind paying a token amount per lesson, say 10$ or so max.

Gary,

I had trouble deciding which to vote for, they all seem like they would be great, i went with strings, but like jazz and several other choices as well. I wouldn't mind paying when i have the money. Some people have money, some don't, and for some it is intermittent, so would it be a good idea, if it is legal, and easy or not too complicated, to make it where people can donate to cause?

David

In the poll you can vote for more than one.

Definately jazz. I've always wanted to get better at harmonizing saxes, and for the life of me I haven't been able to do it yet!

I would LOVE to have on-line "classes" for focused composition!! Specifically, I would be keenly interested in learning different styles of composition: Baroque, Classical, etc, and different forms of compositions like Sonata, Fugue, etc.

Sadly, at present I don't have the time to devote to the on-line orchestration course that is generously being offered us. Hopefully I'll have some time to utilize this course later this winter. Too many irons in the fire at present, though.

By the way. . . the fact that future courses are even being considered is way, way cool!

Cheers!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

All good ideas, some great.

Instrumentation is critical, but also one area of music that seems covered fairly well on the internet. Advanced issues with instrumentation would definitely be welcomed.

A Jazz course is a fantastic idea - for that matter, any course which explores the structure and idiosyncrasies of specific styles. Orchestration of Baroque vs Classical vs Romantic, for instance. And arrangement for marching band, once that package becomes available. And small groups - quartets, trios, etc.

Comparisons are always great. I think one of the most effective qualities of the PoO course so far is taking that same melody and chord progression and dealing with it in different situations.

Jumping ahead, I think basic pointers on MIDI orchestration would be very helpful, but I also think that sort of thing is very personal, and everybody will find their own preferred method as they experiment. That's what's great about having GPO, is the ability to experiment without having a real orchestra at our beck and call. But it's also the weakness - I don't have a real orchestra. I can fake a violin on my keyboard now, but I don't actually play violin, and I don't know what a violinist needs from me as a composer. So, at least for me, I find courses that deal with the practicalities of the real world most useful - since I can't learn that through GPO alone. Stuff like writing for strings, then (and writing for percussion!), has my vote.

Thanks again for this course, and for making it free. I agree with others that it's worth some money... but I can't figure the best way to structure that. Pay per lesson? Or for forum membership? Or... maybe we should not give you any ideas so it will stay free.

-Robin

Gary

What a great service to the community this is! The RK course you have will remain a great help to everybody for decades to come.

I voted for (amongst others) orchestrating with samples. There is the great text from Paul Gilreath but I still think there is a huge gap to be filled to enhance the text and provide pratical examples as you did with the RK text. Good Midi orchestration can really make an ordinary piece sound acceptable and bad Midi orchestration can make the best composition sound terrible.

Hello Gary,

All themes are equally important (IMO). I would gladly vote for all of the themes, but let's say I'd appreciate "Instrumentation" and "Focused Composition" first.

You have done a great work with the RK course and I am deeply grateful for that. Getting paid is always an essential question. Is there a way that further courses remain free?

Aleksandar

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast