• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Topic: Any reason a GS3 owner would want GVI?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Any reason a GS3 owner would want GVI?

    I can't think of anything off the top of my head, other than for people who want to ditch using GS3 so they can just load up one app (their sequencer).
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

  2. #2

    Re: Any reason a GS3 owner would want GVI?

    I think the advantages are:
    * Possibly use more RAM
    * Run it on the Mac someday(!)
    * Less risky - no kernel-level code
    * Store your parameters with your DAW file

    I think the disadvantages are:
    * No blazing fast kernel-level code
    * Can't creatively route through GPulse Pro. (You need GPulse VST)
    * Can't edit stuff without GS3

    Since I don't generally run out of RAM, my system is stable and I'm not a Mac guy, I'll probably keep working in GS3. That said, I think GVI will be the more mainstream product.

  3. #3

    Re: Any reason a GS3 owner would want GVI?

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Since I don't generally run out of RAM, my system is stable and I'm not a Mac guy, I'll probably keep working in GS3. That said, I think GVI will be the more mainstream product.
    It may bring back some of the developers if the samples are protected.
    I've grown to hate the rompler packages though.

  4. #4

    Re: Any reason a GS3 owner would want GVI?

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    * No blazing fast kernel-level code
    Do any estimates exist of the relative performance of GS3 and GVI?

  5. #5

    Re: Any reason a GS3 owner would want GVI?

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I think the advantages are:
    * Possibly use more RAM
    * Run it on the Mac someday(!)
    * Less risky - no kernel-level code
    * Store your parameters with your DAW file

    I think the disadvantages are:
    * No blazing fast kernel-level code
    * Can't creatively route through GPulse Pro. (You need GPulse VST)
    * Can't edit stuff without GS3

    Since I don't generally run out of RAM, my system is stable and I'm not a Mac guy, I'll probably keep working in GS3. That said, I think GVI will be the more mainstream product.
    I think that the advantages you list are correct, except that I expect to see up to 2.7Gb of samples loaded rather than the pesky 1.1 that users are getting at the moment with GS3.

    I don't think that kernel thingy is necessary any more (as it was when PCs were much slower) and I have never noticed GS being faster than the other three sample players that I use.

    Regarding GPulse, I was quite excited when it was first announced (back when GS3 was still not released) but in the end I found that it just didn't sound very good. This may well have been the IRs and I never bothered importing new ones so it could be my fault, but the loss of GP is not very important to me. IMO Altiverb is much better and since getting that I wouldn't even look at GP.

    The lack of editing could be a problem (We'll just have to see how ,much editing is available with GVI before condemning this) if you need to combine patches with heavy editing to get the sounds that you want. However, even then I'm sure that the product will eventually be updated, as otherwise K2 will blow it out of the universe.

    D

  6. #6

    Re: Any reason a GS3 owner would want GVI?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeShapiro
    Do any estimates exist of the relative performance of GS3 and GVI?
    Not yet. We need to wait for it to be released.

    I'm really interested to see its user interface. One of the things that put me off the Kontakt player was its tiny fonts and mouse-heavy UI. Hopefully Tascom will take the best bits of their UI and make it even stronger.

    It's possible that an improved UI will be another reason that GS3 users will want to move to GVI. Or not. We will see...

  7. #7

    Re: Any reason a GS3 owner would want GVI?

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Not yet. We need to wait for it to be released.

    I'm really interested to see its user interface. One of the things that put me off the Kontakt player was its tiny fonts and mouse-heavy UI. Hopefully Tascom will take the best bits of their UI and make it even stronger.
    Really? I kind of like the Kontakt interface, from what I've seen. Giga's "one channel per visual row" policy seems far less flexible than Kontakt's "any instrument to any channel" system. And the placement of the QuickSound window in Giga's UI scheme drives me batty. I always drag it so that it takes up the right side of the screen, which makes it more usable but uglifies the layout and obscures some important functions.

    From the screen mockups, it looks like GVI is nigh-identical to GS3. But as you say, we'll see shortly.

  8. #8

    Re: Any reason a GS3 owner would want GVI?

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

    I think the disadvantages are:
    * No blazing fast kernel-level code
    * Can't creatively route through GPulse Pro. (You need GPulse VST)
    * Can't edit stuff without GS3
    One other possible disadvantage, indeed, a deal-breaker for me, is unanswered so far. Namely, can we still use easily apps such as the VSL performance tool? Does anyone have an idea on this?

  9. #9

    Re: Any reason a GS3 owner would want GVI?

    Quote Originally Posted by e_SEB
    One other possible disadvantage, indeed, a deal-breaker for me, is unanswered so far. Namely, can we still use easily apps such as the VSL performance tool? Does anyone have an idea on this?
    Using the PT is likely to be a clunky mess, as it is in K2 and Halion. However, VSL has released a script for K2 so you don't have to use the PT, so maybe a bit of pressure could be put upon them to do the same for GVI. We already know that it's possible using iMIDI.

    D

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. John's NL
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: Any reason a GS3 owner would want GVI?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Using the PT is likely to be a clunky mess, as it is in K2 and Halion. However, VSL has released a script for K2 so you don't have to use the PT, so maybe a bit of pressure could be put upon them to do the same for GVI. We already know that it's possible using iMIDI.

    D
    This has been discussed here before. If I recall correctly, it seemed at the time as if VSL had expressed no intention (though they were approached) in doing any of the extensive re-mapping needed to negate the PT.

    A couple of NSS'ers discussed the option of forum members who use VSL libs doing a little re-mapping each, and sharing the .art files. Another solution would be virtual cables....which would completely destroy the beauty of having it all under one hood. One may as well run GVI standalone (if that's possible), and use the PT....if that were the case, why not use GS3?

    Conclusion: Anyone up for sharing some .art files?

    Belbin

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •