• Register
  • Help

Topic: Viola elegy

Viola elegy

Here's a little something different. It's a miniature "mood" piece for viola, Rhodes, prepared piano, and percussion. Just something I've had laying around for awhile, but I thought I'd share it since it shows off the GPO solo viola pretty well.

On Flat Ground
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Viola elegy

Way too short. What a tease you are. :-) A bit new-ageist it seems, but I like what little there is there.

// Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe

Way too short. What a tease you are. :-) A bit new-ageist it seems, but I like what little there is there.

Total agreement, much too short. Nice start though!

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Very nice piece. Very interesting use of a multitude of rather unusual instruments such as the Rhodes!

Nice New Age mood snippet, Jamie.

Great combination of instruments and well orchestrated. Liked the prepared piano, although normally I don't like destroying the sound of a great piano after it is prepared. (I'm a pianist, so what else can you expect.)

BRAVO, Jamie

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Mmmmmmmmmm... Viola and Rhodes....Mmmmm.
    An unusual and effective combination, brought beautifully to life here Jamie.

I am curious about how you prepared the piano.
    I have visions of you pouring nuts and bolts into your computer.
    It must be difficult getting them to land on the exact part of the Hard disk that has your piano samples on them.

The GPO solo viola sounds pretty nice on this, although sometimes I think I can hear the sample looping on some of the longer notes.

It would be interesting to see where you take this one.

regards Joe

Very fine idea. The viola is a good equivalent of a tenor saxophone sometimes. Why not, it makes very much sense.

All your strings belong to me!

Go Back to forum