• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some Plusses that Cubase 4 Will Have for GPO

Share/Bookmark

Post Some Plusses that Cubase 4 Will Have for GPO

As a Cubase SX 3 user I was excited to see so many great new features being added to Cubase 4. Several of the new features will directly enhance my experience with GPO, so I thought I would share what I've noticed and see what other people have picked up on that I've missed. Before I start the list I will say that I think the MIDI edit in place feature in SX3 is the single biggest time saver I have ever had in a DAW application. Being able to see and edit multiple instraments in the project window is fantastic.

Cubase 4:

1) Being able to remove (and later re-add) VSTi channels from the screen will reduce a huge amount of clutter in the Mixer, etc.

2) Soundframe will allow us to organize our GPO, Strad, JAB, etc. instruments right along with all other VSTis and effects.

3) Track Presets should give us a more flexible system for creating various templates for orchestras, chamber music, brass quartets, big bands, and so on.

4) Drag and drop inserts will allow us to more easily apply and tweak gentle effects to each track

5) Instrument Tracks could give more flexibility for setting up instruments.

What do you all think?

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: Some Plusses that Cubase 4 Will Have for GPO

I hate Cubase since I buyed Cubase score when it came out (it was about 700 $ then), it was a small, overpriced program that never did what I wanted, and now when it is capable of what I would have needed then they want me to shell out more than 500 $ for it again.

Yes I am greedy .

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

...being an alltime cubase fan I'm sure greedy, too....but have my doubts. cpu usage will be increased again, I have heard nothing about an improvement of the tempo curve editor (why the heck does no one build-in a function, where you can control the tempo curve via cc?) and if the notation editor can compete with notation progs is not yet clear, too.

the "improvements" are now really more in the audio-prof-sector for people running studios with cubase as a central recording unit. but for the home musician I can't see yet any groundbreaking steps.

the points that you have listed don't excite me too much, sorry. these additions look to me rather more like someone throwing small candies into the audience in order to pretend some developing progress.

but: we have to try it out before we can say something reliable....atm we're just speculating...me too

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove
    the points that you have listed don't excite me too much, sorry. these additions look to me rather more like someone throwing small candies into the audience in order to pretend some developing progress.
    Haha, it is as if you were quoting my thoughs about SX3! Yes, that is how Steinberg makes their business, recently. Ignore customers, be not present in the forums, work in the dark and annoy everyone with their copy protection.

However I have to admit that I like SX2 a lot. Tried all the other seqencers and never got comfortable with them: Cubase is somehow more logical to my twisted mind...
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Last time I heard Steinberg was bought by Yamaha (!!!!) Have no idea if this is true or not!

Yet...

I have SL3, which sucks big time! And never ever bothered to register, since I honestly won't have any time to SEND a snail mail to Germany! This thing with registration is ridiculous!

YET! I want Cubase 4, for many reasons, one of which is that it is cheaper for me to upgrade to 4 than SX3, if you can believe that!

The upgrade option in UK is 499£, while in USA was 299$!!!!!!!!!!! Incredible right?

Generally philosophically speaking, one cannot please the audience and nothing else. One must carry on his tasks, no matter what. This is how things progress. Maybe this is what Steinberg is thinking. But non the less I find a suck of Bs! Rubbish! I wish everyone was online, like Garritan, or dough in EW, or Kirk are (and others... just forget to mention them). It just feels better to know that you're talking to the guy who made GPO! And actually to know that he's listening! :O (OT over)

Cubase 4 is a big plus, since it has much more of everything than SX3. Simple as that. The plusses mentioned apply to everything, not just GPO

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove
    ...being an alltime cubase fan I'm sure greedy, too....but have my doubts. cpu usage will be increased again, I have heard nothing about an improvement of the tempo curve editor (why the heck does no one build-in a function, where you can control the tempo curve via cc?)
    Just for the records, energyXT can do that. It has other problems right now but this one is fine.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Post Re: Some Plusses that Cubase 4 Will Have for GPO

Interesting comments to be sure. I'm surprised people have such strong feelings about bits and bytes.

To me the devil is in the details of workflow. I agree there are no huge leaps of technology for a GPO minded user. (However there are for other types of pop,etc. users!) It is the the `small candies' that add up to creating a very smooth and fast method of working. Well, at least for the way I work.

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I imagine it's almost completely useless for notation and step-time entry, eh? (In other words, if you're bunk at playing a piano - don't go with a sequencer, get notation - right?)
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    What do you all think?

-LFO
    Cubase 4 is going to be a killer app. All of the things you list are going to be huge efficiency and functionality gains - and the score editor is supposed to have a total re-vamp, with connections to track presets for creating a score layout while calling up pre-arranged track sets. That sounds pretty cool to me.

Check out their videos online and see some of these things for yourself:

http://www.steinberg.net/986_1.html
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

There is another thread in this forum about the score editor... and it appears, according to the manua of c4 steinbert upload recently, that it will not include what is need to manage sample librarys.
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum