• Register
  • Help

Topic: How could I get maximum MIDI channels??

Share/Bookmark

Re: How could I get maximum MIDI channels??

Many audio cards have MIDI ports included. To answer your question, one would need to know what you plans are audio wise. How will you get the audio from your Triton, and the audio from GSt back into you Cakewalk PC. Analogue or digital? How many channels? What do you have now?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by swanusa:
    I have a Triton and I have Gigastudio. I\'m planning to use Cakewalk as the sequencer on one PC and for Gigastudio and other recording software, I\'m planning to have another PC. I would be using a FATAR MIDI controller keyboard too because I\'m a Pianist and I like the touch of the keys of FATAR. I\'d like to use atleast 16 channels for Triton sounds and 16 for Giga samples and control the whole sequence using Cakewalk sequencing software.

Please help and tell me how I could connect all this equipment to get as many MIDI channels as possible in a particular sequence.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your post is a little confusing but it sounds like you would need a 2-port (32 channels) or 4-port (64 channels) MIDI interface in both PCs to do everything you might want. GigaStudio 160 can support up to 64 channels all by itself. You are wise to put the sequencer on a separate PC. Giga is a CPU hog and will slow your sequencer down (or stall it) under heavy polyphony load.

[This message has been edited by Doug Marshall (edited 09-24-2001).]

How could I get maximum MIDI channels??

I have a Triton and I have Gigastudio. I\'m planning to use Cakewalk as the sequencer on one PC and for Gigastudio and other recording software, I\'m planning to have another PC. I would be using a FATAR MIDI controller keyboard too because I\'m a Pianist and I like the touch of the keys of FATAR. I\'d like to use atleast 16 channels for Triton sounds and 16 for Giga samples and control the whole sequence using Cakewalk sequencing software.

Please help and tell me how I could connect all this equipment to get as many MIDI channels as possible in a particular sequence.

What Doug says is right.

You need two midi boxes.

1. a midi interface for the Sequencer PC which has enough ports for all your gear. It looks like that adds up to: 1 port of 16 channels for Triton, and 4 ports of 16 channels each if you want to output midi from Cakewalk to all 64 channels of Giga - that\'s 5 ports if you want to max things out. If you have other gear planned, maybe a couple of extra ports wouldn\'t go astray. On the other hand, if you don\'t need 64 Giga channels, maybe a four port interface is enough - 1 for Triton, 3 for Giga.

2. a midi interface for the Giga PC. As mentioned by Doug, Giga will happily respond to 64 midi channels (4 ports with 16 channels on each port). If you don\'t need 64, you can scale things back.

Quick warning: There are lots of suggestions you can look up about NOT using USB midi ports on audio PCs. In fact not using USB at all. Some people have no problems with USB on their audio PCs, some do. I think it has to do with how hard you push the system, and how critical timing is. Apparently once USB is enabled, Windows wastes a lot of time peeking at the USB to see if anything\'s happening. There are posts here and at other sites if you\'re interested.

I\'m sorry guys, I forgot to mention the main thing. LOL!! I have a Roland Studio Package and that would be my mixer/recorder. And all the other equipment that I mentioned earlier would finally be routed to RSP for final recording.

Go Back to forum