• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Reverb tails at the end of a piece

Share/Bookmark

Reverb tails at the end of a piece

I applied the SIR convolution reverbs to a piece.
    Normally a reverb gets a tail at the end of the piece, even when it is faded away. When the instruments really stop playing there is some noticeable echo in the space. But when I apply this reverb or others like Convoy Boy, Perfect Space, etc... as soon as the sound is faded out and stops, no last echo is there.

Has this to do with the length of the fading-out tail or else?
    Please suggestions......

Raymond

Re: Reverb tails at the end of a piece

If you're working in a sequencer like SONAR, you can simply extend the end of one track or clip past the last note in the piece, say about 2-3 seconds. When playing or bouncing to a final mix, the the reverb tail will fill the "silence".
    Bill

I am working with Sonar and already lengthened the end notes with a fade-out volume setting (CC#1). Next experiment is: give it a bit more reverb to see if the tail is affected [only an experiment, not for real, because when the tail is there but unnoticeable for my ears then it is ok].

Thanks,

Raymond

I am not familiar with these reverbs you mention, but sometimes I use a longer reverb time for just the last tail. Within the context of the piece, this long of a reverb tail is messy, but at the end is nice. I know this is not possible in real life, but we have the ability to control things and make things sound nice, whatever it takes

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    already lengthened the end notes with a fade-out volume setting (CC#1).
    If you really mean that the end notes themselves have been lengthened, the reverb will still cut off when the end of the longest clip is reached when doing a bounce.

If you mean that CC#1's (not extended notes) are used to fill out a couple of seconds at the end of the longest clip, then you are on the right track.

The longest clip/track
    end of last note v <--------1-3secs-------->
    --------------------------------------------
    x----------------x (empty or CC#1s to end) |
    --------------------------------------------

I've used both SIR and Perfect Space with success in SONAR.

Thanks for the tip, Dan.
    Bill

In Sonar 4, under Options>Audio>Advanced, there is
    a checkbox for "Play effect tails after stopping".

"When checked, this option causes any effect with a "tail" (reverb, delay, etc.)
    to finish playing when playback is stopped."

Isn't this what you are trying to solve?

- k

Quote Originally Posted by klassical
    In Sonar 4, under Options>Audio>Advanced, there is
    a checkbox for "Play effect tails after stopping".

"When checked, this option causes any effect with a "tail" (reverb, delay, etc.)
    to finish playing when playback is stopped."

Isn't this what you are trying to solve?

- k
    This feature applies to playback only. If you bounce to audio, it will record only to the end of the longest clip/track in the selected range. If the longest clip ends with the end of a note, no tail will be recorded. That's why you need to extend one of the clips.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    If you mean that CC#1's (not extended notes) are used to fill out a couple of seconds at the end of the longest clip, then you are on the right track.
    Thanks, I have to go now, but later today I will have a look at it.
    It sounds good..... and I ended the CC#1 where the lengthened notes ended, so when I extend the CC#1 a bit more.... it must give a tail.......

Raymond

In sonar it's actually easiest just to click on the right edge of the clip in track view and pull it out to the right a little bit. It will extend the length of the clip, but won't add any content. And it only takes a second to do.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    In sonar it's actually easiest just to click on the right edge of the clip in track view and pull it out to the right a little bit. It will extend the length of the clip, but won't add any content. And it only takes a second to do.
    That's what I often do, too, particularly when I'm down to the mixdown phase. And it's the easiest way...as long as you later don't "Bounce To Clips", which truncates the empty portions of the resulting clip(s) on both ends.
    Bill

Go Back to forum