• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Atmosphere and Trilogy on Mac Pro...When?

Share/Bookmark

Atmosphere and Trilogy on Mac Pro...When?

Geez, I understand it's a rewrite and a big job, but it's not like the move to Intel was announced a few weeks ago. Now I'm out of Atmosphere and Trilogy for heaven knows how long.

Spectrum, if you are reading this, are the updates months off or weeks off?

Thanks
    Tom H
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Re: Atmosphere and Trilogy on Mac Pro...When?

I can certainly understand your frustration that Atmosphere and Trilogy do not work for the Intel Mac platform right now and that we haven't announced specific info on when or how this situation is going to be solved. If there was an easy way to offer our users instant compatibility, we would have already done it.

What I can tell you is that it is going to take a long time.

While this info is disappointing to a lot of our Mac users...we’d obviously like to have the solutions ready now too! :-)

As you can imagine, this impacts our business far greater than it does for our users. It's mission critical for us to accomplish this transition in as quickly as we can. So you are preaching to the choir here. :-)

What I can tell you is that our solution is in the works, that it is our number one priority right now and that we are putting our maximum into it every day. We know how important it is and that we need to get our entire product line to be Intel Mac compatible as soon as possible and how important a transition it is for our Mac customers.

Just so you know:

1. We have been preparing for the transition of our entire product line to the Intel platform since the day of the Intel announcement.

2. We've also been preparing the future of Atmosphere and Trilogy for the last 4 years. These products have a very long and exciting future ahead of them. :-)

But we also want to be clear to all our users that the transition in this case is NOT an easy or simple one, so it's going to take a great deal more time than it did for RMX (which was one of the very first Intel Mac compatible plug-ins)

I can also assure you that many different avenues for "quick solutions" have already been explored and we realized that they would be inadequate in various ways for both the short and long-term plans for these instruments. So we opted for the best solution, which takes much more time but offers a long term future. Of course, this is the best thing for our users too!

Thanks for your communication and feedback.

spectrum

*Note that Atmosphere and Trilogy currently work fine on Intel Macs when used with Boot Camp running Windows XP

Eric, I am curious.
    is there other reasons beyond financial why you can't in the short term just use the updated uvi engine, or whatever the process is done in the past to let Atmosphere and Trilogy to run with the UVI engine? which is now updated?

I think if this option was available even with a charge to cover the expense, many users will be happy and give spectrasonics some slack to continue work on the new Atmosphere and Trilogy using your inhouse engines.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    *Note that Atmosphere and Trilogy currently work fine on Intel Macs when used with Boot Camp running Windows XP
    Buying Windows XP, then buying the upgrade when Atmosphere and Trilogy come out...whew. That's a lot of buying

Thanks for the explanation. I do see that many companies (Antares Autotune, Sony Oxford, Steinberg Nuendo) are not ready for Intel. Fortunately for me, Digidesign was anyway.

Look forward to the new versions of your products when they are ready. Meanwhile, got to find something that works now...

Best
    Tom H
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

Quote Originally Posted by tomhartman
    Buying Windows XP, then buying the upgrade when Atmosphere and Trilogy come out...whew. That's a lot of buying
    You can buy a full license for Win XP Home for less than $100:
    (example auction on eBay -- there are tons of them)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170032475332

This would allow you to run Trilogy right now (in your other thread you stated you already have/use Trilogy).

Similar to Stylus/Stylus RMX, I would assume Spectrasonics will offer some type of upgrade to Trilogy and Atmosphere whenever they come out. Given Eric implies that these upgrades will be new versions (not simply UB updates), you would have to buy them anyway.

I don't think allows you to use more than one processor (not core).....in other words it should work with the imac and the macbook, and pro but not the mac pro.
    I could be wrong, but that has always been my understanding of home.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_home_pro.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...choosing2.mspx
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Quote Originally Posted by zvenx
    Eric, I am curious.
    Are there other reasons beyond financial why you can't in the short term just use the updated uvi engine, or whatever the process is done in the past to let Atmosphere and Trilogy to run with the UVI engine?
    I'm not going to comment on the details, which makes this type of discussion very difficult of course! :-)

However, I'll do my best to clarify some of your questions:

We have already spent over a year investigating a wide variety of potential short term solutions, only to discover out that none of them would be sufficient for our customers' needs, or for the future support of the products. All of the solutions had some type of major negative aspect to them - various technical "gotchas" that would not provide the type of solid solutions that our professional customers would require.

It obviously doesn't make sense to have temporary solutions that just cause new problems.

And just to be clear about the technical side of the existing instruments:

The particular customized UVI engine that Atmosphere and Trilogy use is not available in a Universal Binary version. USB (the french developers of UVI) are now using a completely new engine for their new products like Plugsound Pro/Ethno, etc - which was re-written from the ground up by different programmers, but its not backwards compatible with first generation UVI. (Their new engine is also still called "The UVI Engine"...which is why some people may be a bit confused about this point.)

So there are some significant technical reasons for the transitions and changes that are going on.

I hope that info is useful.

spectrum

yes it is. thanks.
    so that means that projects with trilogy and atmosphere would NOT automatically load correctly if trilogy and atmosphere was to use the new engine?
    if that is the case, yep then definitely not worth it.
    thanks as always Eric.
    rsp

edited to NOT, thanks Eric.
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------

Thanks for the detailed info on you plans and problems Eric...you obviously never worked for MOTU :-).

Go Back to forum