• Register
  • Help

Topic: First JABB Arrangement

First JABB Arrangement

I'd like to inaugurate my first post by pointing to my first in progress JABB arrangement. I got JABB about a week ago (been waiting til my wallet was fat enough for almost a year!). Got it at Computers & Music for $198!

I immediately set forth to get to work with JABB, Sonar PE 5.2 and Overture 4.02. I am very pleased with the results. I submitted a first cut MP3 and score of a tune called Eucalyptus by Naomi Shemer to the Lakewood Jazz Ensemble (I recently moved to Lakewood NJ) and I'm thrilled to say that they invited me to perform it (and another arrangement of mine) (I play piano and keyboards) with this all-star band at the 2007 Music Spectacular at the historic Strand Theater . Last year's featured artist was Randy Brecker. Checkout the band's website at:

Calling Wilbur Wittemann at the LJE was one of the happiest calls I ever made. Lakewood NJ is one Jazzy town!!!!

If you would like to hear Eucalyptus in it's current state (it has more sections which I am writing out now and I will be refining the parts and articulations as well, but) please check it out at:

I would welcome any comments and suggestions!

Re: First JABB Arrangement

Terrific, sounds great! I wish more people would post JABB creations to share. Is there another forum with more JABB stuff on it maybe?
    Paul McGraw

Thank you Paul for your generous comments. I'd also like to see more files, of course the Chuck Israels' and Gary Lindsay stuff is supreme.

Ron, thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed listening to it. Nice use of the brush kit (my weakest point!), and nice to hear the accordian getting a bit of an outing. Congrats on the gig as well.

Hi Ron

i hope you are still out there coz this is f*****g great. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 1st half i'm hearing eastern (Indian sub-continent & cajun influences - butmaybe I'm just dreamin) then we're into some great jazz sax

Did you see the posts on the GPO forum - there's a GPO/JABB Wiki set up - a kind of Garritan knowledge base - you gotta post how you do the drums

Cheers, Colin D

Thank you so much Colin. It's a 6/8 middle eastern vibe in the first 64 bars and then into a 4/4 swing and then into the 6/8 tune. Those motifs will repeat throughout the arrangement. The solo in the beginning is a bass clarinet and then tromb one leads the rest of the way. The drums were done with a simple 3/4 pattern from a loop library which I mapped to the JABB brush set using the Sonar drum mapping feature. Took some time and tweaking, but it was worth it. Once I had the drums mapped to the JABB brush kit I edited it somewhat to give it a 12/8 feel so I could tweak it to a 4/4 triplet swing and I also added fills and accents playing the parts from my midi keyboard.

Again, thanks for your generous, albei off-color comments. I'll be working on this score to be ready by the spring for the band, as well as a couple of others which I'll also post as they firm up.

Go Back to forum