• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best small footprint sequencer?

Share/Bookmark

Best small footprint sequencer?

For my notebook, I'd like to use a low end, fairly basic sequencer. I've looked at both N-Track Studio and Music Workshop 206. I like them both, but neither has a score view, which I need.

Any suggestions about the best smallish (and inexpensive) sequencer that supports VST effects, VST effects, lets you do all of the usual edits on tracks, and has a score view? Should I just go with Cubase SE?

Re: Best small footprint sequencer?

Cakewalk Home Studio might work too.

Reaper is a 1.4mb and very cpu friendly sequencer. All you want but not score editin (yes score view, you can connect it to lilypond and view pdfs from your midi tracks, but, yes, is not much usefull at the moment) The good thing is that it can invoke external midi editors, that mean, you can edit any track with your favourit score editor without export/import.
    Marcelo Colina

Power Tracks Pro http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm might be worth a look. The last time I used it (a good while back) it was lightweight and had very well implemented note entry. It can handle VST's now as well, according to the website (this is relatively new I think).

Reaper is an incredible program (especially for it's size) but at the moment is much more a DAW than a sequencer, and has no score input/output, which you need.

Cubase would seem to be a reasonable choice to me, if PT does not cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Johnson
    For my notebook, I'd like to use a low end, fairly basic sequencer. I've looked at both N-Track Studio and Music Workshop 206. I like them both, but neither has a score view, which I need.

Any suggestions about the best smallish (and inexpensive) sequencer that supports VST effects, VST effects, lets you do all of the usual edits on tracks, and has a score view? Should I just go with Cubase SE?

I'm using Cubase SE for the laptop, with no problems (stayed with version 2 because it doesn't require a dongle).
    The score part is workable, simple, and good enough for non-published "session" versions but I seldom use it.
    I prefer making a separate "scoring" version of the sequence to take into Finale. Dedicated scoring software is just far more efficient (and powerful)... even for simple task.
    You are probably already aware, but there are price incentives (last I knew) between Kontact, Finale, Garritan etc.. So if you're in the market for more than one of these (or have one of these) you can get some price relief here and there (might have to follow a few links to find it).

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by tarvini
    Power Tracks Pro http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm might be worth a look. The last time I used it (a good while back) it was lightweight and had very well implemented note entry. It can handle VST's now as well, according to the website (this is relatively new I think).
    Anybody here with Power Tracks experience? It looks great and the price is downright amazing...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I looked to it once, i downloaded the demo, but it was very unstable about ASIO. Download the trials always is a good idea.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce
    I looked to it once, i downloaded the demo, but it was very unstable about ASIO. Download the trials always is a good idea.
    Thanks for help!

Go Back to forum