• Register
  • Help

Topic: Concerto for Oboe and Strings

Concerto for Oboe and Strings

Here is my Concerto for Oboe and Strings; www.myspace.com/grahamkeitch

Most of it was written while the dreadful events of the Baslan school tragedy were unfolding and while the concerto isn't specifically about this, it was impossible not to be affected by it. The first movement is built around repeating ascending and descending motifs - and is intentionally questioning in nature. The middle movement is an adagio that I subsequently borrowed from for my anthem 'For the Fallen' that was first performed a year ago. The third movement was reworked more recently to lighten the mood but this was not entirely successful; the closing bars still ended up sounding eerie and haunting. Maybe, that's partly the nature of the oboe?

This is a Finale 2005 effort. The strings are rather exposed in this and would probably benefit from a rework in F2007, which I now have.

Re: Concerto for Oboe and Strings

A strangely moving work in its simplicity, Graham;
    with the strongly lyrical writing of the adagio most
    particularly affecting me... I am, in part, Irish; and
    the Celtic lines and sensibilities in this writing succeed
    in resonating with my heritage.

Beautifully done in its tenderly wistful statements.

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Very nice work, interesting mix of emotions and feeling expressed through music, orchestration, solos, you have it all.

Thanks David and Gary, for listening in - and for your kind comments which are most appreciated.

Simplicity and 'writing from the heart' are qualitities I strive for - but in truth, any success in this regard is more a result of my lack of musical training!

Thanks again.

Regards, Graham

Go Back to forum