• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Symphonic Choir Learning curve

Share/Bookmark

Symphonic Choir Learning curve

Just curious if anyone could mention the learning curve on the Symphonic Choir Word builder. Is it intuitive or does it require some digging in?

Also - how long might one expect to spend trying to make the choir parts of a piece have words clear enough to actually make out what they are saying on say a 5 minute piece? Is it a laborious process?

Thanks in advance

J-

Re: Symphonic Choir Learning curve

Well it requires a lot of work and tweaking. It's not sooo much the learning part (there are some tutorial videos which help really much), but the actuall process of writting something that sounds good.

Pretty much every time you enter something in votox you then have to tweak it a little to sound to your liking. And votox=letters not words. As you can understand it is a rather lengthy process. But it's worth every single *insert currency here*.

lus depending on how you use the choirs and what they're saying and the orchestration behind, you can get away with rather a lot of things...

J,

It's been my experience that it's not as easy as you might hope. Granted, like anything else, the more time you put into it, the more you'll get out of it.

I bought the choirs last summer, and used it in a version of "Silent Night" that I was hired to do. The choirs sang Ooo's, ahh's, and Mmm's for most of this rendition, but towards the end, had to sing the phrase "Christ the Savior is Born" along with the soloist.

That 5 word phrase, took me the better part of an afternoon, and when I had finished, it sounded like a foreign European choir singing in broken English! A few days later, after reading the manual 2 more times, I went in and did some more tweaking, and got it to a fairly decent point. Soloed, it still sounded a bit "stiff", but behind the soloist, it was quite impressive.

I can tell though, that if I spent some serious time with it (meaning more than an afternoon of two) I would instinctively know what to do, what to avoid, how to overcome certain things, etc... like using any sample library to it's fullest.

I think the whole word builder utility is simply amazing, but you won't be typing a lyric, and have it sung back to you right away. It's just to complex for that. Once you get a handle on Votox, the recommended language that word builder seems to respond best to, you'll get better results, faster. I just personally haven't gotten to that point yet, nor have I spent the time, so that's to be expected.

Just my personal 2 cents...

Hmmm, kind of what I was afraid of. So it would be pretty time consuming to do a mock up of an oratorio?

J-

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley
    Hmmm, kind of what I was afraid of. So it would be pretty time consuming to do a mock up of an oratorio?

J-
    In a word.... yes.

I've posted this over at Sounds On Line but have gotten little response. Anyone here care to answer these questions?

I've been considering the Choirs but have a few questions regarding workflow. While the video demos online are great I'd like to find out the following:

1) I see Nick in the videos typing in Votox and then playing the phrases. I assume he is in Wordbuilder. How do you then take those phrases and incorporate them into Cubase for example? Are the Choirs open in Cubase, like Colussus would be, and "seeing" Wordbuilder running in the background?

2) Does the Choir lib play without Worldbuilder. For instance, can you open it up like you would Gold or Colossus and start playing some notes? Can you get decent oohs and aahs this way.

3) Is it going to kill my computer? I have a 2.6ghz Pentium 4, with 2 gigs of ram, and 3 HD drives. Currently i use Gold Pro, Stormdrum and a ton of other VST's and manage to make some cool music with the single machine. Could i squeeze a few phrases out of the Choirs and manage to still use only the one computer? (I really don't want asecond machine)

4) For those who have purchased it, are you spending more time writing Votox and tweaking than writing music.

5) EWQL are introducing a new player soon? Will this affect my investment? (Sorry if this is old news but I've been out of the loop for a while)

Any help would be so appreciated!!!

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick

1) I see Nick in the videos typing in Votox and then playing the phrases. I assume he is in Wordbuilder. How do you then take those phrases and incorporate them into Cubase for example? Are the Choirs open in Cubase, like Colussus would be, and "seeing" Wordbuilder running in the background?

2) Does the Choir lib play without Worldbuilder. For instance, can you open it up like you would Gold or Colossus and start playing some notes? Can you get decent oohs and aahs this way.

3) Is it going to kill my computer? I have a 2.6ghz Pentium 4, with 2 gigs of ram, and 3 HD drives. Currently i use Gold Pro, Stormdrum and a ton of other VST's and manage to make some cool music with the single machine. Could i squeeze a few phrases out of the Choirs and manage to still use only the one computer? (I really don't want asecond machine)

Darren
    1. Yes, Nick is using Word Builder and it runs independently of the DAW. The Choirs are either in stand alone mode or open in your DAw as a VST.

2. Yes, you can play the samples without Word Builder and they sound great and are very useful for oos and ahhss.

3. Yes, it is taxing on your system. 2 Gigs of RAM might be a little light. I run Choirs on a seperate slave with 3 gigs of RAM.

I've posted this over at Sounds On Line but have gotten little response. Anyone here care to answer these questions?
    To make the devils' advocate:

EW forums are not as busy as here. So don't expect to post something and get a response in an afternoon, always.

Now on to your questions:

1. You use the choirs as any sampler, and the wordbuilder as an insert in the track you're playing the voice.

2. yes (sorry leo for repeating you)

3. You won't be able to use much other than the choirs, but with a little exporting/bouncing you'll be fine. Either way with 2 gigs, if you over do it with Gold XP POR you will run out of memory as well (for example if youend up using 56 articulations or something... :P)

4. No. My music making is a much lengthy process, but this is personal. Also writting music is creative, dealing with votox is not, in the matter that in the end you will get the hang of it and also learn more about it and get used to it. This does not apply to music making. But it is a lengthy process and taxing, but the rewards are great.

5. How exactly do you mean that? The most I can say is that you will be jealous of the others with the new player. Either way after a couple of years EW will come up with Symphonic choirs pro (as they did with the orchestras and now apparently doing for colossus. The same will happen for everything). I figure that every couple of years one needs to change his equipment/software. So... since we don't know when the new player will arrive... no reason to be curious about that.

A small note about SC and EW:

They had 3 group buys so far in the last 3-4 months.

Fair enough it is a marketing way.

But also it is a way to empty the warehouses.

Why does anyone need more space? YTo fill it up with new products I say!

Guys,

Thanks for the response! yes, i'm sure EW is up to something good. They have not released anything new in quite some time so I'm sure their new player is a huge endeavour.

As far as the choirs are concerned it kinda freaks me out to think that I'll need a whole new machine with 3 gigs of ram to get some decent results. Hmmm... maybe i could invite 80 of my friends over and have them squawk into a Shure SM58 instead?...

Man at 398.00 it's so darn tempting... but so is the Cubase 4.0 update and the new Native instruments stuff... and food...

Thanks again!

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Guys,

Thanks for the response! yes, i'm sure EW is up to something good. They have not released anything new in quite some time so I'm sure their new player is a huge endeavour.

As far as the choirs are concerned it kinda freaks me out to think that I'll need a whole new machine with 3 gigs of ram to get some decent results. Hmmm... maybe i could invite 80 of my friends over and have them squawk into a Shure SM58 instead?...

Man at 398.00 it's so darn tempting... but so is the Cubase 4.0 update and the new Native instruments stuff... and food...

Thanks again!

Darren
    You're not the only one Darren! I'm very tempted too but don't know if I can justify another dedicated PC and the learning curve.....especially with all the other stuff I have to get up and running. Still if you miss it you might have to go a long time before a similar opportunity arises.....Difficult isn't it?

I succumbed to the Gold Group Buy but managed to resist (just) StormDrum and the following GB.

Good Luck with your decision.....it's only days now

Frank

Go Back to forum