• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I Cant find good bass. What do I do?

Share/Bookmark

I Cant find good bass. What do I do?

I looking for some new basslines. I been working with trilogy but it is not giving me that warm trunk rattling bass. mabye i dont have the right presets. i used to use mophatt(soundfont) "sub bass" that was good but dont have it any more.

question 1

what vsti has good bass?

I also am liking the combiner in reason layering the bass.

question 2

I also am looking for some new drum kits? I have some im willing to trade.

p.s. this site is great for producers like me

Re: I Cant find good bass. What do I do?

It's unlikely that the problem is Trilogy, as it has no shortage of bone-rattling bass, tons of variety and is used on numerous hit records with killer bass sounds.

Some more info from you would be very helpful in diagnosing your problem:

What style of music are doing?

What types of arrangements?

What types of Bass sounds are you looking for?

What are references of commercial mixes that you like?

Post some examples of your mixes that you are having trouble with?

How much mixing/arranging experience do you have?

What type of studio are you working in?

What is the acoustic treatment in your control room?

t's unlikely that the problem is Trilogy, as it has no shortage of bone-rattling bass, tons of variety and is used on numerous hit records with killer bass sounds.

Some more info from you would be very helpful in diagnosing your problem:

What style of music are doing?
    Hip hop and im starting r and b

What types of arrangements?

4/4 i would say all types dont really understand this question

What types of Bass sounds are you looking for?
    thick sounding bass
    something that has some boom with warmth
    i also like grity dirty distored(like guitar) bass as a light layer on top
    (i messed around with the ewql collossis)

What are references of commercial mixes that you like?
    Lil john has good sounding bass
    i want to say dr. busta rhymes "big bang" that whole album was mixed well

Post some examples of your mixes that you are having trouble with?
    how do i post and i will put some up

How much mixing/arranging experience do you have?
    6 years of working with my own stuff

What type of studio are you working in?
    just me and the computer

What is the acoustic treatment in your control room?
    n/a

I don't own Trilogy but from the sounds of the demos you could pretty much have a cat walk across your keyboard and get a great sound. Not to stroke Eric here but the dude couldn't make a bad sounding library if he tried.

Keep working with it. If you can't find a good bass sound in Trilogy I'm hard pressed to think you'd find it else where in a VST.

2 Cents,

Darren

PS Eric, I hope that the new stuff your working on is not just Stylus RMX Groove stuff but also libs like you used to make. (SOV, HZ Guitars, Atmosphere, etc)
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

this is a exsample of some bass. and i been making beats for a 6 years and im a bass junky i know what good sounding bass sounds like. i rate this bass a 8 its good but im looking for a little warmer. i think i layered it with 2 bass i dont remeber it was a long time ago but i re heard it and got the bass taste back in my mouth. If somebody has trilogy give me some segestions on some bass you found to be good or in genral. i would hate to think trilogy is the only place to find good bass. ( wow i said bass alot)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VSU2TYXP

Hi Check out Minimonsta. JON

Trilogy is DEFINITELY a great source of bass. If you can't "feel" that, then my first thought is that maybe your monitoring system is the weak link...? I'm just guessing on that. I can only use headphones for monitoring, so sometimes it's hard to catch all those deep, deep lows, I know -- it's a problem I have myself sometimes. But Trilogy can rattle your bones, that's for sure. Often I have to listen to mixes on other systems to realize how things really sound, so make sure you try that, too -- you know what I mean.

As far as specific patches in Trilogy, I find myself gravitating to the synth basses in the "Hip Hop and Funk" section, as well as the "Moog and Oberheim Classics" section. But I especially go for the "Deep and Warm" section when I want massive sounds. Some of those basses are thunderous, and have a nice, wide, stereo sound. I mean, dude -- layer up a few of those patches and there won't be space in the song for anything else! They just sound monstrously huge.

And remember, you can always use those "Sub Oscillator" waveforms to layer with any other layers in Trilogy -- so maybe in your case, that's something to consider. Find a sound that seems cool, and then switch out one of the layers for a "sub" layer. Or better yet, use two instances of Trilogy, and use the second one ONLY for the "sub" layer. Might help you get the deep sounds you want...?

Another VSTi that's got some awesome bass sounds is one called Fab Filter Two -- to be honest, I don't own it yet, but the demo is proof enough that it can make some really fantastic bass tones that are DEEP, solid, and very responsive to playing. It's a little expensive for my taste, so I've held off on it -- but it's definitely on my "keep thinking about it" list.

Anyway -- those are just my first thoughts... GOOD LUCK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTain
    Trilogy is DEFINITELY a great source of bass. If you can't "feel" that, then my first thought is that maybe your monitoring system is the weak link...? I'm just guessing on that. I can only use headphones for monitoring, so sometimes it's hard to catch all those deep, deep lows, I know -- it's a problem I have myself sometimes. But Trilogy can rattle your bones, that's for sure. Often I have to listen to mixes on other systems to realize how things really sound, so make sure you try that, too -- you know what I mean.

As far as specific patches in Trilogy, I find myself gravitating to the synth basses in the "Hip Hop and Funk" section, as well as the "Moog and Oberheim Classics" section. But I especially go for the "Deep and Warm" section when I want massive sounds. Some of those basses are thunderous, and have a nice, wide, stereo sound. I mean, dude -- layer up a few of those patches and there won't be space in the song for anything else! They just sound monstrously huge.

thanx man you helped alot. after i read your post i went though and found some basses i like. i wondering how you sub them out. i used to sub out everything with cool edit pro. they have a sub filter that i would layer any bass im using. but that sub filter your talking about could help me out a lot.

i went though half the sounds but in the
    ELETRIC BASS
    5 string finger full rage
    hollow fretless full range a
    holoow fretless sustain
    s10 wide fretless
    classic mute
    hip hop muted
    hip hop true up stroke a
    '' '' '' full range
    reggae muted "Good"
    hip hop pick upstroke
    '' '' full range
    '' '' substain
    Found a lot in SNTH
    are you sure
    system 100m compter bass
    tweezer rez
    be nice to thumper "good"
    cs 80 click sub
    deep decay

DEEP AND WARM

atc creamer "real good"
    big jim
    bottom feeder
    deeeeep
    juno 60 deep
    mini moog

im going to go though the rest but thanx again

Quote Originally Posted by 1dopemf
    i wondering how you sub them out.
    It's really easy! You know how when you are picking a "patch" in Trilogy, you have the choice to choose "patch" or "waveform"? It's like, for example, you choose "Synth bass"--> and then you have to choose which part you look at: PATCH or WAVEFORM. Well, just choose WAVEFORM -- and in that section of Trilogy there is a category called "Sub Oscillators".

So what you want to do -- this is just an example, dig? -- but what you do is, you open up TWO instances of Trilogy. On the first one, find a patch you like. Then on the SECOND one, don't choose a patch at all -- go to part A and choose a WAVEFORM for it. Go into that "Sub Oscillators" section and find one you like. Or even choose a different one for part A and part B, and pan them hard left and right (that might be OVERKILL, but whatever, try it!).

Then if you make those two Trilogy's play the same part, you should have a great sound from the first one, plus a nice "sub" sound from the second one. You can mix them to your liking...

I mean, this is just one way I've done it -- may not work for what you're searching for, you know. But I mean, it's one way. Just keep experimenting. Trilogy is a cool synth, and I've even used it for LEAD sounds -- it's always cool when you find new/other uses for synths you already have (as opposed to going out and buying a NEW one). You know what I mean.

Anyway, yeah -- I'm a bass player myself, so bass really matters to me, I guess. So hey, I hope you can find the sounds you're looking for...

Peace

Ok i get what your saying now. that what i was doing before i just didnt know how to do it with trilogy. Thats whats up thanx a lot for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTain
    It's really easy! You know how when you are picking a "patch" in Trilogy, you have the choice to choose "patch" or "waveform"? It's like, for example, you choose "Synth bass"--> and then you have to choose which part you look at: PATCH or WAVEFORM. Well, just choose WAVEFORM -- and in that section of Trilogy there is a category called "Sub Oscillators".

So what you want to do -- this is just an example, dig? -- but what you do is, you open up TWO instances of Trilogy. On the first one, find a patch you like. Then on the SECOND one, don't choose a patch at all -- go to part A and choose a WAVEFORM for it. Go into that "Sub Oscillators" section and find one you like. Or even choose a different one for part A and part B, and pan them hard left and right (that might be OVERKILL, but whatever, try it!).

Then if you make those two Trilogy's play the same part, you should have a great sound from the first one, plus a nice "sub" sound from the second one. You can mix them to your liking...

I mean, this is just one way I've done it -- may not work for what you're searching for, you know. But I mean, it's one way. Just keep experimenting. Trilogy is a cool synth, and I've even used it for LEAD sounds -- it's always cool when you find new/other uses for synths you already have (as opposed to going out and buying a NEW one). You know what I mean.

Anyway, yeah -- I'm a bass player myself, so bass really matters to me, I guess. So hey, I hope you can find the sounds you're looking for...

Peace

Go Back to forum