• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Requiem for a Planet - please comment

Share/Bookmark

Requiem for a Planet - please comment

This is a piece I was commissioned to write for a local civic orchestra. It is to be performed this spring as an included piece with Holst's "The Planets". I would like some comments on structure and form as well as the usual GPO suggestions. I have not completed all the articulations and phrasings. I would like input from this community to help with that. The piece is called:

Requiem for a Planet - Pluto

Thank you for listening.

Re: Requiem for a Planet - please comment

Mr. wrayer,

thank you for the piece. I am short of time now but if you want a detailed review I will do tomorrow.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Pluto never sounded so good, William -- and I'm well
    qualified to say that, as I've been there often.

As you say, you have not finished "nuancing" this,
    William; and I do think that careful management of
    tempi and dynamics is going to be very important
    to bringing this off at its finest in live performance.

As for the writing, top-drawer as always from you.
    (The violin work amidships is absolutely gorgeous,
    by the way.)

Structurally, this works fine, to my ear. Maybe a bit
    more work with color contrasts could be advantaged
    to create a more varied sense of dialogue in some
    areas; but, too, as above, performance factors have
    a great deal of influence on that.

A most worthwhile and enjoyable memorial for Pluto,
    William. Fine job on this.

Many congratulations on the commission and the
    forthcoming performance!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    This is a piece I was commissioned to write for a local civic orchestra. It is to be performed this spring as an included piece with Holst's "The Planets". I would like some comments on structure and form as well as the usual GPO suggestions. I have not completed all the articulations and phrasings. I would like input from this community to help with that. The piece is called:

Requiem for a Planet - Pluto

Thank you for listening.

For me, this captures / extends the mood of Holst's work very well - so I think you've got that just right. A little more rise and fall in the dynamics will improve the drama but I think you're right not to overdo this.

Good luck with this. Graham

PS is it intended for this to be added as a sort of final movement or as a separate item in the program?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Mr. wrayer,

thank you for the piece. I am short of time now but if you want a detailed review I will do tomorrow.

Hannes
    I will look forward to your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    As for the writing, top-drawer as always from you.
    (The violin work amidships is absolutely gorgeous,
    by the way.)

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I can not tell a lie part of this piece is not original, though I think you may have detected that. Holst wrote that beautiful violin solo, I just arranged it for this piece. (It's the melody from the movement about Venus). I also borrowed from Holst and used a section from Mercury. Since Mercury is the messenger that brings poor Pluto the bad news. I also couldn't resist using Mozart's Requiem by using a quote from his 'Dies Irae' (Day of Wrath). So some of this is arranging as opposed to composing.

All the rest is me (intro and transition music and conclusion. Oh, I also included an English folk song (again a reference to Holst) called "Down Among the Dead Men" an 18th century pop tune. I couldn't help using this piece because Pluto is the god of the underworld and now he is declared dead. Irony!

Thanks for listening. I always look forward to your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    For me, this captures / extends the mood of Holst's work very well - so I think you've got that just right. A little more rise and fall in the dynamics will improve the drama but I think you're right not to overdo this.

Good luck with this. Graham

PS is it intended for this to be added as a sort of final movement or as a separate item in the program?
    Thanks Graham. The dynamics are next on my 'to do' list. As far as placement on the program, we are discussing two possibilities: 1) prior or before the playing of the Suite or 2) as an encore after playing "The Planets". We are leanig towards making it the encore number.

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    I can not tell a lie part of this piece is not original, though I think you may have detected that. Holst wrote that beautiful violin solo, I just arranged it for this piece. (It's the melody from the movement about Venus). I also borrowed from Holst and used a section from Mercury. Since Mercury is the messenger that brings poor Pluto the bad news. I also couldn't resist using Mozart's Requiem by using a quote from his 'Dies Irae' (Day of Wrath). So some of this is arranging as opposed to composing.

All the rest is me (intro and transition music and conclusion. Oh, I also included an English folk song (again a reference to Holst) called "Down Among the Dead Men" an 18th century pop tune. I couldn't help using this piece because Pluto is the god of the underworld and now he is declared dead. Irony!

Thanks for listening. I always look forward to your comments.
    Son of a gun! You know, William, I missed it -- the violin melody
    taken from the Venus movement. I think I'm overdue to review my
    Holst! Oddly enough, I caught "Down Among The Deadmen"...
    go figure.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I have tweaked the piece and added a counter melody to the Folk Song "Dead Men" - I will upload it as soon as I am finished adding some more 'nuances'.

I would still welcome more comments and critiques to help me polish this for the live performance. Please feel free to get out your knitting needles and 'knit-pick' this piece.

Hi, great work. Holst is one of my all time favorites... That is why I barely can bring myself to listen to him. Anyway I really enjoyed this piece. I don't think you need too much more but the basic touches on tempo, dynamics, and articulations. The rendering sounded very good. And congratulations on this future performance... very exciting. This work will be a great extension of The Planets...
    Please keep us updated...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast