• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tchaikovsky's VIOLIN CONCERTO with the Stradivari - Performed by Jim Thomasson

Share/Bookmark

Tchaikovsky's VIOLIN CONCERTO with the Stradivari - Performed by Jim Thomasson

Here is the entire first movement of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto performed by Jim Thomasson. This is using the first version of the Stradivari Solo Violin.
    This is a major undertaking - 22 minutes long - it is a work in progress.
    As Jim states "what you heard was only the first rehearsal".

Here is the MP3 (20 MB download)

Violin Concerto, for Violin & Orchestra in D major, Op. 35
    http://www.garritan.com/Strad/Violin...oMovement1.mp3

This violin concerto was written in 1878 by Piotr Ilic Tchaikovsky (1840-1893). When written, this concerto was deemed "impossible" by peers and went unplayed for many years to Tchaikovsky's dismay. Now it is standard and a top choice among virtuosos.

Any comments are welcomed. I hope you enjoy this rendition as much as I have.

Thanks Jim for sharing this. This is a stunning achievement!

Gary Garritan

Gary Garritan

Re: Tchaikovsky's VIOLIN CONCERTO with the Stradivari - Performed by Jim Thomasson

Wow, this is excellent... and only a first rehearsal? Amazing work! What beautiful melodies Tchaikovsky gave us with this piece, and you really did them justice. This is wonderful, bravo!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Tchaikovsky's VIOLIN CONCERTO with the Stradivari - Performed by Jim Thomasson

Very good - and most of all very interisting in regards to musicality!

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

For the records, as far as I remember there are three wrong notes:

1:28 G# instead of G
    12:11 Bb instead of A flageolet
    12:24 the same

The orchestra intro is also not fully knotless. But I suppose all this is intended to make it not too perfect and ensure we really listened to the piece .

Just recently the idea struck me that sample based interpretations could even help live musicians in a way. First, they can be more daring since the context is more avantgarde anyway. Secondly many pieces are really difficult to play so the traditional focus is very much on technique, and electronic means can help to get a better view on the composition and music itself.

This rendering is an excellent example for this!

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

My gosh, what an undertaking, Jim!

In keeping with your comment that "what you heard was only
    the first rehearsal", certainly, this is still rough in many ways.

But Jim, there are also, quite definitely, some brilliant moments
    in this, already.

Bravo! I will follow this formidable endeavor with much interest.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thumbs up Re: Tchaikovsky's VIOLIN CONCERTO with the Stradivari - Performed by Jim Thomasson

Oh my, if there is any doubt of using the awesome Solo Stradivarius Violin this performance will clear any up wonderfully! Jim Thomasson, what an absolutely wonderful effort you did on this violin concerto! A fantastic demonstration of SSV's awesome power of expression! My god, if I didn't know it was SSV I would have argued it being a real performer! And as for the rest of the orchestra, absolutely phenomenal!
    Bravo! More! More! Extraordinary! Oh, this is such a joy to listen to! Extremely pleasurable and full of life!
    Styxx

I have to chime in with the rest here.

Although there are lots of notes with way too much bow attack, making the sound of the solo violin very midi oriented,... there are many moments where the feeling, emotion and sound of the Strad is very very real!

I know what it's like to do a piece this long, and it takes a long long time.
    I congratulate you for your efforts. I too look forward to hearing the finished version.

dpDan

A great effort Jim although it still needs a bit of tweaking as the backing orchestra does sound a little 'straight' MIDI. I thought that the solo violin was the best and it gives an insight to what would be possible with a little tweaking and refinement.
    Maybe I should start saving?.............

Frank
    PS I'd be very interested in how long this took you to get the piece out at this level.

Go Back to forum