• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: EQUILIBRIUM II - Jamie Kowalski

Share/Bookmark

EQUILIBRIUM II - Jamie Kowalski

Here is a brand new completed movement from my piece in progress, Equilibrium for piano and large orchestra. This will most likely be the finale.

Equilibrium finale

Here is a direct link to the previous section: Equilibrium pt I

My wife is my biggest fan and amazing support. Upon hearing this work she asked me "Do you think you might be going a little bit insane?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: EQUILIBRIUM II - Jamie Kowalski

Hey Jamie, this piece reminds me of a jagged rock. Not sure about you losing your mind; but this work is beyond creative. Such wonderful ideas stitched together but barely holding their shape. The sudden percussion towards the end commands your attention while the ending decent lets you go before another slap in the face. Everything is done very well in this piece which I have come to expect from you. You have a true talent...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

I wouldn't worry about the insanity thing, Jamie.
    People get used to it.

Love the opening on this... and the follow-through
    into the spare, lean, Kowalski I've grown accustomed
    to expect. The slowly downslope unwinding in the
    last section is the perfect counterbalance to the
    spring-tightening opener... nice contrary symmetry
    in that.

I also relistened part one, of course... and am very
    much looking forward to the completed work, Jamie!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Such wonderful ideas stitched together but barely holding their shape.
    The thought of the ideas "barely holding their shape" is very appealing to me -- thank you for that image. It pretty much describes an aspect of my music that I hadn't yet put my finger on. Even in some of my densest textures I sometimes think that if I lost one note it just wouldn't make sense anymore. At other times, the notes are pushing hard against the bounderies of the idea's confinements, almost tearing apart its skeleton, and running away somewhere else to play.

Thank you for your impressions, I appreciate your sharing. I'm not sure where the "jagged rock" image came from, but as long as it conjures *something* I'm happy.
    - Jamie Kowalski

It's all compliments... for both you and David. Sometimes I speak visually... You two write in a style that used to be foreign to me. I'm glad I can stop by the forum and hear such great talent used in a way the is new for my ears.
    Sorry for any misunderstanding...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Love the opening on this... and the follow-through into the spare, lean, Kowalski I've grown accustomed to expect. The slowly downslope unwinding in the last section is the perfect counterbalance to the spring-tightening opener... nice contrary symmetry in that.
    David,

I appreciate the comments, as always. I'm happy you heard the symmetry in the polar opposite ends. It's part of the theme of the entire piece, and I'm glad you picked up on it. The theme of "equilibrium" explores multiple unbalanced ideas edging in on just the right spot on an imaginary scale to keep each end balanced... but only just barely.

Imagine it as two families of elephants delicately balanced on opposite ends of a see-saw while tossing peanuts back and forth at each other.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Cool piece -- imaginitive and witty, i'm going to go back and listen again.

Sheesh, between you and EtLux, I've really got to step up my productivity and post some stuff.

Incidentally, what are you doing with all these pieces now that you're doing this full time? Are you sending them out to orchestras, competitions, etc?

chris.

Jamie,
    Listened to this several times this morning. It grabbed my attention from the beginning. This is excellent. Lots of suspense and tension. It has a nervous energy that keeps propelling it. As far as insane? Take it from me, lol, it ain't so bad. People tend to leave you alone, lol.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

It's very nice indeed.

Imaginative and creative. Your wife is the one supporting you from going insane, you tell her that. That's how I met my wife (and kept her for those 3-4 years now that we're married... )

Towards the end it seems a little weird that is slowing down, but it makes up the for the ending. It gives reason and thus there is nothing to blame

The production sounds a little weak. IT could be that kids and wife are asleep and thus I cannot turn up the volume, but it sounded like you didn't use the full potential of GPO. don't know though...

I really like it here

I've heard some great stuff here

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    It's all compliments... for both you and David. ... Sorry for any misunderstanding...
    I understood it was a compliment, and took it as such, thank you. I was just curious about the image.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast