• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Anyone know how to get more than 2GB RAM in Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Anyone know how to get more than 2GB RAM in Sonar

Hi Everyone,
    I'm having more DAW issues. I hope that someone has the answer for me. I'm hoping to find out if anyone knows how to get more than 2GB of RAM (usable) out of Windows XP x64 with Sonar 6. I have approx. 4 GB available, but not usable in Sonar. I hope that I'm making sense. It seems that the limit is in Sonar. Anyone know a work around? Please help if you can. I'd appreciate it greatly.
    Take Care,
    Stephanie

Re: Anyone know how to get more than 2GB RAM in Sonar

Hi Stephanie,

you need to apply the /3GB switch. The link talks about Win2000, don't worry about that, it works on WinXP Pro (x32 & x64) as well.

Here is another link.

Hi Nickie,
    Thanks for the help! I tried this last weekend and it didn't work for me. I'm not sure why. I'll try again. My DAW is driving me again!
    Take Care,
    Steph

Hey Steph,
    I know how serious you are about writing/producing music as am I, and the one thing I'm coming to terms with quickly is that this one DAW isnt going to do what I need forever. As I am a sucker for every group buy that comes my way, I recently bought my second external drive (500GB this time) and upped my RAM from 1 to 3 gigs. I'm still happy with this one machine but I also realize that for what I really want to be able to do, and I'm sure you do also, I'm going to have to eventually get a slave machine for half of my VSTi's. I am going to have to figure out this 3GB switch also so if you learn any secrets about how to do it, please feedback to this thread. Sorry I'm no help here, just offering commentary this morning I guess.

Eric

Steph,
    Here's a comment from Noel Borthwick from CW and a couple of links in a subsequent comment.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Hi Stephanie,

you need to apply the /3GB switch. The link talks about Win2000, don't worry about that, it works on WinXP Pro (x32 & x64) as well.

Here is another link.
    Ignorance chimming in. You can have more then 2gb of ram on windows xp32bit? Not sure I am following this. My machine is not the newest in the world but the MB says 4gb support, however a few years ago I just put in 2gb assuming that was the max for windows xp and always wondered why the MB company said 4gb capable when I always assumed xp could only handle 2. Am I missing something? lol. If so the ram for this old board is way cheap compared to new high end/speed ram.
    Robert Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Cantabile
    You can have more than 2gb of ram on windows xp32bit?
    2GB per process or application w/o the /3GB option, the remaining memory, up to the 4GB line, is used by the O/S.
    Bill

Hi Stephanie,

It appears you are using the x64 version of Windows XP which doesn't have the 2 GB limit of the 32 bit version. The 3 GB switch doesn't work for this version. You haven't mentioned what plugins you are using. It may be the limitations of the plugins. If the plugin is 32 bit, then it still has the limitation of 2 GB.

Unfortunately, doing a search I wasn't able to come up with much about using programs such Kontakt.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Hi Stephanie,

It appears you are using the x64 version of Windows XP which doesn't have the 2 GB limit of the 32 bit version. The 3 GB switch doesn't work for this version. You haven't mentioned what plugins you are using. It may be the limitations of the plugins. If the plugin is 32 bit, then it still has the limitation of 2 GB.

Unfortunately, doing a search I wasn't able to come up with much about using programs such Kontakt.

Jim
    Hi Haydn,

Thanks so much for the reply. I think that this answers my question but raises more questions. As far as plug ins, I use Kontakt/Intakt/Halion instruments with the following libraries: GPO, GOS, E/W Gold/Gold XP, Project Sam True Strike (starter), Stormdrum, Bosendorfer 290, Kontakt etc.

So, the new questions are, what now? Does this mean that I have to go back to the old way? Why are there no updates/upgrades available for the sample libraries when for a while now the trend was to go w/64 bit? I built my DAW almost 2 years ago, specifically for 64 bit processing because I was told that is was going to be so much better than 32 and that everyone was moving toward 64 bit only anyway. Until the XP x64 upgrade, I was unable to use the capabilities of the 64 bit machine, and even now that I have the opportunity to use it as it's meant to be used - I can't. This is frustrating. My hubby and I have been trying to get the stupid thing to work for 3 weeks now! What a waste of our time What is it that I'm missing?

Thank you Haydn for stating it clearly so that I can understand.

Take Care,
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    So, the new questions are, what now? Does this mean that I have to go back to the old way? Why are there no updates/upgrades available for the sample libraries when for a while now the trend was to go w/64 bit? I built my DAW almost 2 years ago, specifically for 64 bit processing because I was told that is was going to be so much better than 32 and that everyone was moving toward 64 bit only anyway. Until the XP x64 upgrade, I was unable to use the capabilities of the 64 bit machine, and even now that I have the opportunity to use it as it's meant to be used - I can't. This is frustrating. My hubby and I have been trying to get the stupid thing to work for 3 weeks now! What a waste of our time What is it that I'm missing?
    That last question opens up a can of worms<G>!!!

What you are missing is that there is little or no coordination between CPU manufacturers, motherboard manufacturers, operating system developers and application developers (in spite of the occasional conspiracy theory!)

There are, however, dependencies. OS folks can't write an OS until they have hardware. And application developers can't do too much without an OS and hardware.

So you are on the leading edge... and that leads to a lot of frustration!! I gave it up... I'm too old and too cheap to do that again!!!

Bill
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Go Back to forum