• Register
  • Help

Topic: Home Studio 2004 and stucked notes

Share/Bookmark

Home Studio 2004 and stucked notes

Thanks again Howard and Kbaccki for the kind answer. It looks I better abandon Home Studio 2004. I am a Cakewalk user since the beginning. I'll investigate which way I should (could?) go, but change I must.
    Kbaccki, you were kind to ask when this stucked notes appear. What I learned recently, after going nuts reseting HS 30 times in an afternoon to stop the sound, that when I changed from my usual way, using C11, drawing curves in piano-view, and instead making envelopes using C7, the incidents of stucked notes were reduced so much, that now I can relax a little, they come two or three times in a 3 hour mixing effort. My system is a dedicated PC, GS 3.2 Orchestra, AP 2496 scard, a M-Audio Keystation 61 controller and Home Studio, all this on the same PC. GS3.2 seems stable, the only thing bothers me is that as soon as I start HS, GS3 indicates a flashing "external MIDI", which according to GS manual,means that I am in rewire mode, which I am not, it is actually shut off in GS.
    Thanks for your info and suggestions, I'll follow up on them.

Ted

Re: Home Studio 2004 and stucked notes

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Vanya
    What I learned recently, after going nuts reseting HS 30 times in an afternoon to stop the sound, that when I changed from my usual way, using C11, drawing curves in piano-view, and instead making envelopes using C7, the incidents of stucked notes were reduced so much, that now I can relax a little, they come two or three times in a 3 hour mixing effort.
    30 times... that's... uh... inconvenient.

RE: rewire... probably has nothing to do with it if you never explicitly set up HS to access GS over rewire... and for that matter, since you disabled rewire in GS...

RE: control data... it's interesting that changing from C11 curves to C7 envelopes reduces instances of stuck notes. At a very low level the sequencer is doing the same thing via different means -- they're both sending a steady stream of CC messages. There could be something about CC11 in particular that GS3 doesn't like. In any case, if the stuck notes are somehow related to controllers you should be able to set up HS to send controller resets on stop. Not familiar with HS 2004, but I know SONAR has that option, and it's a basic MIDI function so it's probably been in cakewalk sequencers for some time. Should be a checkbox or two in one of the option tabs. Sending those resets may also include sending "all notes off", which would be all you need (that is, if stuck notes is simply a playback problem... see below).

RE: stuck notes themselves... do they only happen on playback, on input from the keyboard NOT during playback or record, on input during playback or record, or any combination of those? If during playback, do stuck notes only happen when you hit the stop button in the sequencer, or can you hear stuck notes WHILE the tracks are playing back?

What exactly are you doing when notes get stuck?

If stuck notes happens during input from the keyboard (and maybe also during playback), here's something you could try: look in your HS install folder for a file called TTSEQ.INI... open that file up and within the [options] section add:

IgnoreMidiInTimeStamps=1

If stuck notes happen only when you hit stop, then there could be a reasonable explanation -- e.g., if I play a sequence with a single piano note but stop plyback before the end of the note, then GS or the softsynth will never get the note off message. The reset on stop option may help there.
    On the other hand, if stuck notes happen during input and/or while tracKs are playing back (i.e., not just on stop), then there is a deeper issue -- namely, missing note offs.

RE: flashing MIDI input light... do you get the flashing MIDI input light when you run the project under S5 as well? Is it a continuous fast flash (like lots of data coming in), or is it more like one pulse per second?

I personally would be curious what data is coming in (esp. if the sequencer is idle). I believe GS3 has a MIDI monitor... pop that open and see what's coming in on each channel. Is it a flood of data, or just a steady low-frequency pulse?

If it's a steady stream of data then that could possibly be the start of an explanation for lost note offs -- something is saturating the MIDI channels with MIDI messages of some flavor. What are those messages?

If the messages are low-frequency, there are a few possibilities:

1.) active sensing from the controller keyboard and routed to GS3 via HS's MIDI thru -- if stuck notes happen during playback (or you can at least replicate stuck notes during playback), it's worth a shot just unplugging the controller keyboard then see if you can reproduce the problem

2.) MIDI synch protocol from keyboard and routed to GS3 via HS's MIDI thru -- similar to #1, try unplugging the keyboard

3.) MIDI synch protocol from HS itself -- each HS project provides per-project options for enabling MIDI and other time code sync protocols; there may also be options for sending those from HS at a global level, again I don't have HS in front of me... Anyway, if HS and/or your project is set up to send "MMC", "MTC" (MIDI TimeCode), or "MIDI Clock", then disable those options and see if you can reproduce the stuck notes.

Anyway... sounds like your problem isn't as severe now with the CC7 workaround. Though you should still be able to send CC11 arbitrarily without the behavior you described. Hopefully I've given you some avenues to pursue...

Quote Originally Posted by kbaccki
    you should be able to set up HS to send controller resets on stop. Not familiar with HS 2004, but I know SONAR has that option
    HS 2004 has this option. It's in Project Options | MIDI Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Vanya
    GS 3.2 Orchestra
    Just noticed on kvraudio.com that GS v3.2 was announced/released today... so perhpas you are running v3.0.2, not v3.2? If so, you might need to update to a later version... seem to remember some discussion of stuck notes with older versions of GS3...

Go Back to forum