• Register
  • Help

Topic: Studio and Midi Channels

Share/Bookmark

Studio and Midi Channels

GPO studio offers the possibility of direct playback for a couple of instruments. Midi is limited to 16 channels of which channel 10 is always for percussion (in a Midi environment).

I've listened in the Listening Room to a lot of compositions, one better than the other, but all rather good and some awsome. I've also read lots and lots of messages coming together with those compositions (and on other sub-forum-topics).

But I still wonder how you guys do it, when you have more than 16 instruments. I don't use Finale, Sibelius or Ouverture, so I have to improvise a bit on a technical level. Now I playback my newly written compositions (for orchestra) by means of a synthesizer (Roland JV-1010). Limited possibilities but rather good sounds [limited to only 16 channels].

Nevertheless the real sounds are quite different because that Roland thing reacts different on the dynamics than e.g. Sonar with GPO does. And quite a lot of the sounds are completely different, better of course with GPO.

So for a better overall ideal sound it should be better to playback using Studio, but then how to overcome the limitation of 16 channels? Now I share a channel using the clarinet and oboe (not to speak of violins divisi and unison which are better when at least two separate channels are used).

In Sonar I can assign tracks and a lot more than channels. The question remains, how do you guys do that with Studio as an improvised playback tool? Real mixing, rendering, etc. requires another approach, I know that.

Raymond

Re: Studio and Midi Channels

If you use GPO with Sonar, you should use it as a VST plugin - forget about Studio. You can then open multiple instances of GPO, each capable of loading 8 instruments, that can be set to respond to any of the MIDI channels 1-16 (each player has its own set of 16 MIDI channels). And when you render your music, you Export Audio.

Channel 10 has no special meaning with GPO. Only General MIDI (GM) instruments treats ch. 10 as a percussion channel.

Nickie let me be more specific. For the moment my notation program only outputs at one port all 16 [and limited to] channels. So there is only one stream of info: a midi file with instrument patches (in the event list) for all 16 channels.

I don't know how at this moment, but I think I can pick that up in Sonar and direct the various patches to multiple instances of Vst-based GPO's [virtual midi cable]. But how do I distinguish the oboe from the clarinet when they share a channel because I ran out of useable channels in that notation program?

In fact this happens also when I do it "all virtual" with MidiYoke/ MidiOx, directing them to instances of GPO within Studio......

And now I see you thinking ..... buy another notation program.....

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    But how do I distinguish the oboe from the clarinet when they share a channel because I ran out of useable channels in that notation program?
    You don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    And now I see you thinking ..... buy another notation program.....
    Yes ... or compose directly in Sonar, export as MIDI file and open the MIDI file in your notation program and prepare for printing there. And if your notation program can't do this ... well, buy another notation program.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    or compose directly in Sonar, export as MIDI file and open the MIDI file in your notation program and prepare for printing there.
    Thanks for the answers/
    And the notation in Sonar is ....... driving me crazy.

Raymond

I agree - compose in Sonar, then save as a MIDI file. One trick that wasn't mentioned though is to quantize your MIDI file before trying to open it in Finale (or whatever notation program). If you don't do this you'll wind up with a lot of stray 32nd and 64th notes, or rests, because of inexact start and stop times of your MIDI events (which is what gives it a human feel). These things can all be fixed after you're in Finale, but I just find it easier to do it in Sonar first.

The notation view in Sonar isn't really designed for producing publication-quality notation. But it is really helpful for some things. For instance, say you've played in your high strings with one hand - all in one track because you were in a hurry or something. Copy the track to 2 other trackes then open then all in notation view and you can quickly visualize what to delete from which track to get Vl1, Vl2, and Vla.

I agree with the idea that sequencing and notation should be handled by different applications, simply because there is no application that comes close to doing both adequately in my opinion.

In sequencers, you generally only worry about MIDI channels from within a given instance of a plug-in. Since you can use as many copies of the GPO plug-in as memory allows, you end up with the possibility of hundreds of instrument channels. I usually use one instance for flutes+clars, one for oboes/bsns, one each for horns, trumpets, tbns+tuba, one or two for percussion, then as many as needed for strings depending on how much is going on there.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I usually use one instance for flutes+clars, one for oboes/bsns, one each for horns, trumpets, tbns+tuba, one or two for percussion, then as many as needed for strings depending on how much is going on there.
    I had that in mind also. Now that I've written another part of my pianoconcerto, I think starting over again with Sonar to get "that" sound I really wanted.

So I'll be off-line for the next couple of days.

Thanks for your help,

Raymond

Go Back to forum