• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hard Drive Space For EWQLSC

Share/Bookmark

Hard Drive Space For EWQLSC

My sample/recording hard drive currently has 107 gb's available. Symphonic Choirs uses 38 gb, leaving approximately 69. Is that a comfortable margin?

How much unused space should I leave if I also use my sample drive to record projects? (I will probably pick up Horizon's Overdrive (6 gb's) to enhance my guitar sounds in the near future and then swear off new sample library purchases for a while).

So figure that leaves me about 60 gb's of free space to record projects. (It is a home studio that where I only work on one piece at a time).

What do you think? Should that be okay?

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Re: Hard Drive Space For EWQLSC

You will certainly be okay, but I would recommend installing a separate drive for your audio recording. Drives are quite cheap these days. Choirs will demand a lot from your hard drive, so with the additional responsibility of recording, you might get clicks and pops. You can give it a shot and see though.

Thanks, I will look into the second hard drive, but have to figure out what I would need to do on my system.

Is there a rule of thumb for how much residual (unused) hard drive space should be left on your sample/audio drive?

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Technically, there is no rule there. If the drive is not fragmented, you can fill it up and not have much of an issue, but the seek times will get slower somewhat and transfer rates do get reduced a bit with the data closer to the center of the platter.

What kills HD performance is excessive fragmentation. If you record and delete your audio files often, your drive will get fragmented when it's relatively full. So either get a bigger drive, or defragment it often.

If you only have one drive, copy your libraries there first and leave them there so they will not be fragmented. They also will take advantage of faster seek times and transfer rates when data is at the edge of the platter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    Technically, there is no rule there. If the drive is not fragmented, you can fill it up and not have much of an issue, but the seek times will get slower somewhat and transfer rates do get reduced a bit with the data closer to the center of the platter.

What kills HD performance is excessive fragmentation. If you record and delete your audio files often, your drive will get fragmented when it's relatively full. So either get a bigger drive, or defragment it often.

If you only have one drive, copy your libraries there first and leave them there so they will not be fragmented. They also will take advantage of faster seek times and transfer rates when data is at the edge of the platter.
    Yeah, that's what I am doing now. Do you think at leat a five percent cushion makes sense? Or 10-15?

jeffn1

Depends on how big your drive is vs. how big your files are that you work with.

300 gb drive. I currently have 107 gb's left.

If I add EWQLSC, I will have about 67 gb's left.

If you add my likely purchase of Horizon's Overdrive, figure a little more than 50 gb's left unused.

I will not add any samples after that unless I get a bigger drive.

So, I guess the question is whether I am pushing my luck with my sample/audio drive if I leave 50 gb's of my 300 gb drive (1/6th) unused (figure the drive is not fragmented). I only used it for storing sample libraries and for my Sonar projects (which is in a home studio where I work extremely slowly on one piece at a time), but I do use dfd.

jeffn1

No with those numbers you are not pushing your luck. However it wouldnt be wise to go down past what the machine would use for swap files and things like that(A few GB I suppose).. So figure that if you go below 5gb you should really stop. Also Symphonic Choirs from what I have heard is somewhat impossible to run without having it on a dedicated machine, maybe look into that a bit. also with spending 1-2k on sample libaries, cant you just shell out for a 2nd hard drive? Its really quite necessary in this day and age to have at least 2 hard drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_venom
    No with those numbers you are not pushing your luck. However it wouldnt be wise to go down past what the machine would use for swap files and things like that(A few GB I suppose).. So figure that if you go below 5gb you should really stop. Also Symphonic Choirs from what I have heard is somewhat impossible to run without having it on a dedicated machine, maybe look into that a bit. also with spending 1-2k on sample libaries, cant you just shell out for a 2nd hard drive? Its really quite necessary in this day and age to have at least 2 hard drives.
    Thank you.

I have 2 hard drives (one for os/programs and the other for samples/storing projects). I guess the issue is whether I should get a third hard drive.

I will see how it goes. I realize that I will need to bounce a lot or record different parts in different projects.

It isn't only the $$ for second dedicated computer (including sufficient ram, etc). My system works pretty well and I am not technically inclined. So, I have avoided networking so far. But, at some point, I may well do that.

jeffn1

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Yes, get a third drive (or more if you're doing a lot of tracks) for your audio files. It makes the most sense. Busy studios that need a high degree of reliability regularly clear off everything on their project drives and reformat the drives. It heads off a lot of problems and instability. You don't want to be recording audio to your sample storage drive and have to deal with fragmentation and directory issues.

Lee Blaske
    Might need to look into that. But I will need to figure how if my computer can handle a third drive, considering the limitations on PCI slots, etc.

jeffn1

Go Back to forum