• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just what is the difference between GVI and GS?

Share/Bookmark

Just what is the difference between GVI and GS?

I've been lurking on this website for many months, enjoying the conversations and news. I have now received an automatic message from the forum server suggesting that I "...tamke a few moments to ask a question,...." so here goes....

Just what is the difference between GVI and GS? There is a fundamental difference between not just GVI and GS but between "software samplers" and "virtual instruments" or something along those lines, but I just do not get it. I've been "new to these things" for the past 3 years, not really having had the time to concentrate on GS3 (which I have on my computer but never use) and learn it.

Maybe a good explanation will prod me along.

David

Re: Just what is the difference between GVI and GS?

GS3 is a full-fledged computer application that behaves like a stand alone MIDI sound module. It includes advanced features, such as iMIDI for smart playback of samples (round robin, legato, etc), GigaPulse convolution for ambience, advanced mixing functions and the ability to create and edit your own sample libraries.

GVI is a plug-in that is hosted by your sequencer. As a sample playback engine it does most everything that GS3 does. It does not run in the Kernel mode. That means it might not have quite the same performance as GS3, but it might be able to use more RAM and load more instruments. It doesn't include the ability to create and fundamentally edit sample libraries. It provides GigaPulse convolution for instruments with built-in resonance (like pianos with pedla-down resonance), but doesn't include the mixing and routing and ability to apply GigaPulse to your overall sound. (You need GigaPulse VST for that.)

So... What does this mean to you?

For basic sample playback GVI does everything you need. When you save your sequencer file, it also saves all of your GVI setup information as well.

Because it runs in the application layer instead of the kernel layer, it should be compatible with more PC setups than GS3. It's lower risk, which is important for non-technical musicians.

If you want to run all your sounds through GigaPulse for an overall ambience, you'll want to get GigaPulse VST. This is potentially more powerful than GS3's GigaPulse - you can apply it to all of your tracks, rather than just to your GS3 samples.

If you want to edit your libs or create new ones, you'll need GS3. Most won't need that power.

GVI and GigaPulse VST is probably the right solution for the majority of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    ...GVI is a plug-in that is hosted by your sequencer...It doesn't include the ability to create and fundamentally edit sample libraries....
    Jon do you know whether you can edit samples to stretch their range in GVI or can that only be done in GS3.
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Quote Originally Posted by David_Carter
    Jon do you know whether you can edit samples to stretch their range in GVI or can that only be done in GS3.
    I don't know off-hand. I believe that GVI will include the Quick Edit functionality, but I generally use the full editor, so I can't remember what you can/can't do in Quick Edit.

Jon, thanks for the explanation.
    I understand very well some of the things you said and don't really understand the other half..... but I don't expect anyone to explain it to me. What I need is many hours to sit down and use Gigastudio, read the manual and try things out to really understand it. And that time will come.... some day.

David

Go Back to forum