• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Dongle required for GVI

Share/Bookmark

Angry Dongle required for GVI

I have been waiting in anticipation for GVI to come out. My biggest fear was that Tascam would use a dongle for copy protection. Yep, dongle required (per the owner's manual posted on Tascam's website). Uggh!! I have yet to support a software company that uses a dongle, so now I have to decide whether to go against my policy.

Re: Dongle required for GVI

Quote Originally Posted by Augdog
    I have yet to support a software company that uses a dongle, so now I have to decide whether to go against my policy.
    If you don't now, you will have to, eventually...

And why exactly is it so terrible to have to stick a dongle in a free USB jack (or just leave it, full time, in a USB hub somewhere where you never have to think about it)?

I can assure you, using a dongle has never lessened my Cubase experience in many, many years...

And it seems, based upon the text in the GVI manual, that someone who already uses a USB dongle for Cubase SX (assuming that that's the same thing as an "eLicenser") will be able to use the same USB device to allow access to both Cubase and GVI, so life shouldn't get any worse over it...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    And why exactly is it so terrible to have to stick a dongle in a free USB jack (or just leave it, full time, in a USB hub somewhere where you never have to think about it)?
    You're probably right that it's not that big of a deal. I realize that some people prefer dongles to challenge/response, but I just wish software companies would offer a choice of copy protection so that those who wanted a dongle could use it and those who preferred challenge/response could go that route.

I have Komplete 3, and I think Native Instruments' copy protection method using NI service center works well and is very easy.

As a Logic user I have used a dongle for years. Usually it just sits in my hub in my studio but when I travel, I have Logic 5 on my laptop (PC) and have to bring my dongle along. My biggest fear is losing it!

Leon

Quote Originally Posted by Kaatza Music
    As a Logic user I have used a dongle for years. Usually it just sits in my hub in my studio but when I travel, I have Logic 5 on my laptop (PC) and have to bring my dongle along. My biggest fear is losing it!

Leon

I did just that with my Motu Mach 5 dongle, lost it from a laptop at LAX airport. I refuse to bring my Logic or Waves out of my studio. Use DP on the road, they still have customer friendly protection.

The best case (for users) is no CP (Sonar - at least for the version I use) or a simple challenge/response (ACID/Vegas) that isn't overly aggressive. I'm able to use ACID/Vegas on a small number of machines without problems. They work well for the person with a small number of PCs/laptops and system upgrades while thwarting the big pirates.

The next best is the scheme from Sibelius 2, where you can disable one system and enable the next. Heaven forbid that your machine with the live key crashes though. You need to contact the manufacturer in that case. It's like a software dongle.

The next in line is the dongle. As long as it doesn't cause hardware conflicts, get lost stolen or broken, you're okay. But what if?

One of my least favorite is the NI approach used on the GPO player. I can run it on two systems, but once I disable it on a given PC, it can never go back. What's up with that? As someone with multiple PCs, a personal laptop and a work laptop - and a hectic travel schedule - that doesn't work for me. I only need it on one machine at a time, but which machine?

Anyway, the dongle isn't the best solution from the user perspective, but it will work okay for me (assuming no hardware conflicts). What I like is that I'll be able to use GVI on the PC du jour - as long as I don't lose or break the darn thing...

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    The best case (for users) is no CP (Sonar - at least for the version I use) or a simple challenge/response (ACID/Vegas) that isn't overly aggressive. I'm able to use ACID/Vegas on a small number of machines without problems. They work well for the person with a small number of PCs/laptops and system upgrades while thwarting the big pirates.

The next best is the scheme from Sibelius 2, where you can disable one system and enable the next. Heaven forbid that your machine with the live key crashes though. You need to contact the manufacturer in that case. It's like a software dongle.

The next in line is the dongle. As long as it doesn't cause hardware conflicts, get lost stolen or broken, you're okay. But what if?

One of my least favorite is the NI approach used on the GPO player. I can run it on two systems, but once I disable it on a given PC, it can never go back. What's up with that? As someone with multiple PCs, a personal laptop and a work laptop - and a hectic travel schedule - that doesn't work for me. I only need it on one machine at a time, but which machine?

Anyway, the dongle isn't the best solution from the user perspective, but it will work okay for me (assuming no hardware conflicts). What I like is that I'll be able to use GVI on the PC du jour - as long as I don't lose or break the darn thing...
    Starting with Sonar 5 (and Sonar Home Studio 4) you enter your serial number into CW's website and get an activation code emailed to you if your serial number has not already been registered.
    Also - I don't know about all dongles,but with Steinberg products, you can purchase an extra dongle and have your license parked on it as well as a backup. you can do that as many times as you want (from my understanding).
    Q6600 2.8GHz Quad Core
    WinXP Pro
    4G DDR RAM
    MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MKIII
    Sonar 8.5PE

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle
    Also - I don't know about all dongles,but with Steinberg products, you can purchase an extra dongle and have your license parked on it as well as a backup. you can do that as many times as you want (from my understanding).
    So what's to stop people purchasing the extra dongles and giving them to their friends?

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle
    I don't know about all dongles,but with Steinberg products, you can purchase an extra dongle and have your license parked on it as well as a backup. you can do that as many times as you want (from my understanding).
    Who on earth told you that? Someone's playin' wit ya....

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Who on earth told you that? Someone's playin' wit ya....

D
    Oops! You're both right, I apologize, I misunderstood. You can own an extra dongle, but you can't put the license on it without the LCC transferring your license to the new one.
    Q6600 2.8GHz Quad Core
    WinXP Pro
    4G DDR RAM
    MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MKIII
    Sonar 8.5PE

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast