• Register
  • Help

Topic: Creation of examples

Share/Bookmark

Creation of examples

I'm sure this might have been gone over already, but I didn't see it anywhere.

What is the method for creating the GPO playback for the RK score examples? Is this output from Finale 2006, or is it created in sequencing software? I've tried recreating some score examples in Finale 2006 and can never seem to get the balance quite right. I'm still learning how to better mock up my scores, so I'm very interested in the methods used here.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Re: Creation of examples

Couple of days older:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=47554

My bet is that it is done by ear and nothing more... Dunno though...

Nikolas,

That's not exactly what I was asking. I'm curious as to the note entry method used to create the audio examples. Are they created in sequencing software (Sonar, Cubase, etc...) or from notation (Finale 2006)?

I'm guessing from my experiences of trying to recreate some in Finale, that only the notation is being taken, not the playback. I find it to be quite stuttery sometimes, especially for fast repeated notes like slashed sixteenth notes.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    Couple of days older:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=47554

My bet is that it is done by ear and nothing more... Dunno though...

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy6h
    Nikolas,

That's not exactly what I was asking. I'm curious as to the note entry method used to create the audio examples. Are they created in sequencing software (Sonar, Cubase, etc...) or from notation (Finale 2006)?

I'm guessing from my experiences of trying to recreate some in Finale, that only the notation is being taken, not the playback. I find it to be quite stuttery sometimes, especially for fast repeated notes like slashed sixteenth notes.

Jeremy
    Quite simply put, notation is used, but for visual only as if you own the store version, some things are very hard to read/scan. Sonar is the culprit of interpretation.
    Robert Davis

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy6h
    I'm sure this might have been gone over already, but I didn't see it anywhere.

What is the method for creating the GPO playback for the RK score examples? Is this output from Finale 2006, or is it created in sequencing software? I've tried recreating some score examples in Finale 2006 and can never seem to get the balance quite right. I'm still learning how to better mock up my scores, so I'm very interested in the methods used here.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    It was quite an involved process that took a couple of years.
    The mp3s as Cantible states were done in Sonar (a few in Finle directly). The notated scores were done in Finale and sibelius. The syncing of the score and mp3 was done in Flash.

We would have liked to have used a Web 2.0 front end or something like Scorch or MediaRain to provide real-time playback from the score. The problem is that people would have had different sound sources and Flash was the best way for everyone to have the same listening experience.

We have all the scores in Finale and Sibelius which means they can all be converted to MusicXML. We are also looking into other methods as well.

Thanks for asking.

Gary Garritan

Gary,

Thank you for the personal reply. I've been having some interesting results mocking up score excerpts directly out of Finale 2006. I've been going through my Samuel Adler orchestration book, and mocking up some of the excerpts to see how Finale handles them. It does well on some things, and not so well on others. Whenever I use the alternating bowings patch, Finale tends to stutter on playback. It does alright on other examples, but of course the mixing capabilities are extremely limited. I'll have to try exporting some to Sonar and playing around with EQ and a Waves reverb.

Thanks again for creating this orchestration class. It's a nice review for me of the older text, and possibly a godsend for those that didn't study in school.

Jeremy Levy

Go Back to forum