• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO use for Education

Davis, California

GPO use for Education

I thought this group might be interested in hearing about how GPO has been used to help out our local school music program. My daughter is in the Jr High Orchestra which is a string orchestra. Actually there are two. The Intermediate Orchestra for 7th graders and the Advanced Orchestra for 8th and 9th graders. Since it is a string orchestra you can not find recordings of the actual arrangements to listen to and the students were not quite sure what the pieces should sound like. So for last year and this year I have taken the scores and created MP3s using GPO from which the students can hear the actual arrangement. I also created versions with each of the sections highlighted so that the student could clearly hear their part.

The music director loves this and says that it has vastly improved the speed at which the students learn the pieces. They are up on the orchestra web site for all the students to download and you can check them out too at:

Does it work? Check out the videos of a couple actual performances from last year at:

(Well to be fair, the music director deserves all the credit for the orchestra’s excellence ;-)

Re: GPO use for Education

Great idea and excellent use of samples to make live music better!!!

All your strings belong to me!

Orcas Island

Thumbs up Re: GPO use for Education

Excellent and inspiring work you are doing.

The main reason I created GPO was for there to be education tool to help inspire a new generation of musicians.

Very impressive work you have done. It is fantastic work. How you realized and highlighted each section so that the student can hear their part is brilliant. Then the combination of all the parts really brings it together so the students so how it relates to the whole. I listened to each part and your renditions of the Lucas, Gabriel-Marie, Tchaikovsky, Mozart and Beethoven we all well done.

The videos of the youth orchestras are fantastic! And Bravo to the music director. Excellent conducting work by Mr. Angelo Moreno.

I applaud the work you are doing Some of these students you are teaching are tomorrow's great musicians. The world needs more people like you who inspire and encourage.
    You are setting a great example.

Please contact me privately so I can further help support what you are doing. Thank you for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: GPO use for Education

I just want to say BRAVISSIMO. You serve the community and help young musicians to discover what they are capable off. I take my hat off and bow for you with great respect!

What a helpful, unselfish, wonderful thing you are doing!

Keep up the fine work. I'm sure that all of the kids appreciate it very much.

My best to you,

Larry Alexander
    Larry G. Alexander

Davis, California

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. The rewards of the work is hearing the kids play.

I thought that you might be interested in the unsolicited message I got from Angelo Moreno, the conductor for the Junior and Senior High Orchestras. In my view GPO should get the credit since it creates such realistic renditions that the students can practice at home the same as they would be practicing with the rest of the orchestra.

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:04:51 -0700 (PDT)
    Subject: Re: Intermediate Orchestra - Classical Symphony is up on the web
    To: Russ Hobby <rdhobby@internet2.edu>

Thanks Russ! I asked the kids today "How many of you have gone on line to listen to the pieces" and 99% of them rasied their hands, "I said how many of you actively practice with or use the recordings during actual practicing" and the majority of them said yes they play along or listen and play. This is a wonderful tool. Especially for the young 7th graders who are struggling just to make it happen. I really appreciate all your time and energy in putting it all together.

Go Back to forum