• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hello everyone!

Hello everyone!

I am Hung Tran, a new member here. First of all, I would like to say hello to everyone here. Second, I would like to say thank you for Garritan's lessons about Rimsky Korsakov's Principle of Orchestration. It is so cool!

Let me tell you how I ran into this web site. I am working on a small project - for my own sake - creating an e-music book with text and music examples. I would like reader, when he read it through a computer, can play and watch the scores. The Finale, in my knowledge, does not let me create any thing like it: I have to create a file and hit the play button in the tool bar to play it... I can not copy that piece of music and play somewhere else such as in the e-music book. Then, I have to search for other tool. Sibelius is next notation software I can think of, and when I was reading the "Chat" page, I got stucked in here...

Can any one here help me on this issue? Specifically, how do we add Sibelius scores into text editor so that it can play when reader hit the play button somewhere around the score? (just like Garriton did in his lesson.)

Thank you very much. Again, this is a really cool web site.
    Hung Tran

Re: Hello everyone!

A warm welcome, Hung Tran!

On your question about playable scores, Sean Hannifin is
    our resident expert on this. I hope he will stop by.

In brief, the playable scores for the Rimsky-Korsakov are
    (Adobe/Macromedia) FLASH applications that Sean
    created for each of the examples.

Other forum members created the scores and mp3
    renderings, around which Sean built the FLASH applications.

My best,

Welcome to the forum!

For Sibelius, I have seen tutorials that use something called "Scorch" to allow viewers to play examples, though as far as I know it will only support MIDI as the audio output.

For the Rimsky-Korsakov examples, the marker was animated with Flash by ear for each mp3 and score... a sometimes tedious process, but its the only way I know of to get such nice looking and sounding results. (And after doing hundreds of them, I think you get better at it. )
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thanks for quick respond. I may do more research on Silbelius on "Scrotch"? to do the playable score. I may create a link in microsoft word to open a saved Finale or Sibelius file. However, this solution is not elegant because I would like the reader not to leave the e-book.

Thanks again.
    Hung Tran.

Here's Scorch:

I've never worked with it myself, but I've seen some scores and tutorials with it, it seems to work nicely.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Welcome, Hung, to a great (and growing) online family!

Go Back to forum