• Register
  • Help

Topic: How are people coming with their pieces for the Realize Music competition?

Share/Bookmark

How are people coming with their pieces for the Realize Music competition?

I've been working on a couple pieces since this competition was announced and it's still a slow going process, especially when one has a day job completely disperate from music. However, working with NOTION is certainly a big help when it comes to sitting down and plotting things out when applying a MIDI controller and keying in the notes in step-fashion.

The other nice thing is that once the music is inputted with all of the dynamics, articulations, performance notes, it's done! And going back to alter a section or passage is quite simple. Now I have to get back to it!

Talking Re: How are people coming with their pieces for the Realize Music competition?

I have written perhaps 10 hours of orchestral music using Notion since May of 2005. I adore this program--glitches and all. I am an 'old fashioned' composer as far as methodology goes and love working in notation. So, Notion is just perfect for me. I just have to decide which of the 30 pieces or so I will enter in this contest.

I am wondering if these .ntn files need to be perfectly ' performance ' ready. Most of my scores are clean, but when I am writing quickly, I don't bother with such oddities as a pizzicato marking in a xylophone after a paste from a viola. Sometimes, I don't bother going back with the old eraser tool! Of course, I will edit the chosen submitted scores to be as performance ready as possible...

Re: How are people coming with their pieces for the Realize Music competition?

Quote Originally Posted by John2
    I have written perhaps 10 hours of orchestral music using Notion since May of 2005. I adore this program--glitches and all. I am an 'old fashioned' composer as far as methodology goes and love working in notation. So, Notion is just perfect for me. I just have to decide which of the 30 pieces or so I will enter in this contest.

I am wondering if these .ntn files need to be perfectly ' performance ' ready. Most of my scores are clean, but when I am writing quickly, I don't bother with such oddities as a pizzicato marking in a xylophone after a paste from a viola. Sometimes, I don't bother going back with the old eraser tool! Of course, I will edit the chosen submitted scores to be as performance ready as possible...
    I would definitely recommend "cleaning up" your pieces before submission. The judges we're working on getting are all very professional, and I can't promise that the scores will be judged purely on how they sound, only because I honestly don't know.

In addition, we're still paring down our list of possible judges, and the minute I'm able, I will let you know who they are.

Re: How are people coming with their pieces for the Realize Music competition?

Will there be an update for the demo software to correct the problems with copying and pasting. Inspite of the bugs I think it is on its way to becoming a front runner in notation software. It is the easiest I tried. The sound quality of the samples is splendid. Trying to clean up my entry for the compitition. I've just purchased Finale 2007, but sort of whish I had opted for the full version of Notions. I still may buy the full version because I can just concentrate on composing and not techno stuff.

Go Back to forum