• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: All this TASCAM/Giga griping...

Share/Bookmark

All this TASCAM/Giga griping...

Quote Originally Posted by Jcschild
    ahh the wonderful world of tascam new product no changes.
    You're wrong.

TASCAM is making "changes." They've created (or, at least, are working with) the learngigastudio.com site to "bulk-provide" the tech support that they, it would seem, haven't been able to implement successfully via one-on-one telephone service. If it works, it will be a very efficient way to turn each person's problems into many people's solutions.

There are, in fact, TASCAM people reading the forums there -- I've been PM'd directly by someone from TASCAM in the last two days.

They've built up (only a little bit, I'll admit, but it's a start) the tascamgiga.com pages to provide more info about Giga, as well as its hardware needs and preferred Windows tweaks...

TASCAM deserves some credit for bringing in new people internally to develop/promote/support Giga, and for starting to build up its public support mechanisms. Complaining about how they haven't solved everything at once is neither productive nor realistic.

Change is slow and incremental for any organization... look how hard it is for some folks right here to stop griping reflexively about TASCAM and Giga and start talking about interesting ways that they've used the program, or cool music that they've created using it...

--------------------------

Although I've singled out one snippy comment, above, the problem is really endemic throughout this entire forum, and it is really hurting NSS' otherwise phenomenal signal-to-noise ratio.

"Oh no, GVI requires a dongle," "omigod, GVI shipped out x-weeks after expected," "the world will end -- Giga/GVI may-or-may-not work on some future Windows configuration," "I'd rather complain about TASCAM's lousy tech support than use the same time and effort to ask you people a question about how to get Giga to work," and so on...

I swear, some of you cats must lead charmed lives, if GVI's use of the same dongle that Cubase and others have used for years is enough to inspire such anger and indignation... you'd think there was nothing really wrong in the world today to be upset about...

--------------------------

Please, people, try to keep the GigaGriping to a minimum.

We get it. Giga has its hardware/software issues. TASCAM's tech support has been spotty-at-best, in the past. There are going to be kinks that need to get worked out once GVI 1.0 hits the streets. Fine.

Having acknowledged that these problems exist, why keep dwelling on them?

I frequent forums (fora?) like this to learn how to make better use of my software apps and sample libraries, and to pass along whatever knowledge I acquire along the way.

Anyone who has read my early posts here knows what I nightmare I endured when I first entered GigaWorld. Things got better, thanks in large part to the helpful advice given here by people like Bruce Richardson and Jon Fairhurst. And they were only able to help me (and others) when I (and they) avoided generic grumbling about TASCAM and provided them with specifics about my system and my problems. That is the stuff that makes this place rule... And this site in tandem with learngigastudio.com, will make for a great collective knowledgebase.

And, as a matter of fact, I've had new memory-related problems since updating to v3.20, which will be the subject of a soon-to-be-released fact-rich, whine-free posting... Hopefully the brain trust will help me get through it with relative ease.

All the bitching about TASCAM is just headache-inducing... and it won't solve whatever hardware/driver conflict/configuration/tweaking issue is currently plaguing you.

And don't forget, TASCAM is taking steps to improve both their product and their customer support systems. If your only response is more whining and complaining, what will be TASCAM's incentive to work harder for us?

If you've got specific issues to address, bring 'em on, and we'll try to solve them as a collective unit. If all you want to do is complain about upgrade pricing, insufficient website information, waiting for hours to get a tech support person on the phone, non-optimal copy protection schemes, etc., then WRITE A LETTER TO TASCAM... and then come back and tell us about how you solved some Giga-related issue, or clue us in to something fantastic that you did with your sample libraries...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Re: All this TASCAM/Giga griping...

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    And don't forget, TASCAM is taking steps to improve both their product and their customer support systems. If your only response is more whining and complaining, what will be TASCAM's incentive to work harder for us?
    I'm routing hard for Gigastudio. I know its a small division of Tascam with limited resources and a very small niche market. I have a big investment in giga libraries. However, when I see so many erroneous announcements regarding ship dates (no big deal really), upgrade prices (a bigger deal), and then finally after I've purchased the upgrade - "it's not going to work on your computer until we fix it", I feel I have to say something.

If we shut up and pretend that Tascam is doing everything right in these regards, what will be their incentive to change their behavior in the future? It's not our responsibility to provide TASCAM incentive, it's their responsibility to provide incentive for us to purchase their products.

That said, I wish them absolutely no ill will and greatly hope that GVI puts them squarely back in place as a leader in the sample player space. I just wish they had a better spokesperson, or one at all I guess. Their own statements (and sometimes their silence) consistently lend to the perceived lack of credibility.

Best,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    You're wrong.

Please, people, try to keep the GigaGriping to a minimum.

Having acknowledged that these problems exist, why keep dwelling on them?
    I think you see a lot of NEW Giga Gripes from people who recently purchased the product with high hopes then ran into a brick wall. Also, of late there have been some gripes regarding the $75 GVI upgrade realistically not being available outside of the U.S..

I am a big Giga fan (not much of a Tascam fan) but a lot of the criticism is well-deserved.

We have the right to gripe if some people on this site have major problems getting in touch with customer support, or waiting two weeks for shipments of a product they pre-ordered, which was available in stores, or ridiculous international shipping charges. The same holds true for companies like MOTU which has similar customer service issues.

Some companies just don't treat their return customers correctly.

There is love at the heart of the hate. (Or, in less extreme terms, like at the heart of the dislike.)

I think a lot of complaint comes from the fact that many users were extremely excited by Giga and its potential, and constantly see what could have been. It's probably safe to say that nobody feels ill-will towards the core developers of Giga - likely quite the opposite - and only towards the management forces that have hampered the platform from reaching its full potential.

For those old enough to remember the Amiga comptuer, there's a kind of parallel to the love/hate feelings its users had towards Commodore. On one hand, there was a sense of gratefulness for fostering an innovative technology, and on the other a huge disappointment for bungling and lack of follow-through.

to AlanB,

ya know i understand where you are coming from. i just about posted something very similar on the Sonar forum for all those over there whinning about delivery,web issues etc.

but there is an major differance. Sonar delivered the goods (whilst having issues delivering ) (as did Cubase4)

GVI should have NEVER been released in the state its in, cant use multi-processors? have to disable it? crap man there isnt a "PRO" studio who doesnt have 1 if not more dual core or dual dual cores systems.
    dual proc systems have been out for what 10 yrs? dual core for 2 yrs, quads this month....

i am sorry but GVI looks to be more of the same crap as GS3, its only saving grace will be if it actually works and plays nice with your main daw.

dont get me wrong GS3 works great on a stand alone computer, and i have tons of giga boxs out there working great. (Dave Govett even has one and loves his)
    but any other orchestral sample player works fine on the same computer most if not all are and have been dual core/multiprocessor able for some time, and dont crash ever 10 minutes when used with your main daw.

sorry man but i stand by my comment. you really dont want to get me started on tascam as company or those presently in charge.

i wish Dave Govett never sold out to Tascam, i can think of 10 other companies that would have done better. not that long ago Giga was the only answer, it could have stayed that way.

PS have you noticed you dont see near the complaints and my computer crashed due to .. on Kontakt or Halion forum? wonder why that is?

Scott
    ADK

PS have you noticed you dont see near the complaints and my computer crashed due to .. on Kontakt or Halion forum? wonder why that is?

Scott
    ADK
    K2 crashed my computer. NI agreed it was a bug but never said what they were doing to fix it. Consequently I gave K2 the boot and have never looked back....!

D

Yeh apple would have done better.

And there would be no silly 2 gig of ram problem. And we would have a stable program on a stable osx with the higest potential.

Tascam and MOTU are the companies I have relied upon most and they have let me down.

MOTU sent me a expensive item and didn't even bother to include the instruction manual. Oh by the way it came out of the box busted, had to wait for a very slow return process. Terrible customer service.

PS I am using logic now, wish me luck. This is my first week.

Go apple.

PS the store by Lincoln Center NY, its so cool!

to AlanB,

ya know i understand where you are coming from. i just about posted something very similar on the Sonar forum for all those over there whinning about delivery,web issues etc.

but there is an major differance. Sonar delivered the goods (whilst having issues delivering ) (as did Cubase4)

GVI should have NEVER been released in the state its in, cant use multi-processors? have to disable it? crap man there isnt a "PRO" studio who doesnt have 1 if not more dual core or dual dual cores systems.
    dual proc systems have been out for what 10 yrs? dual core for 2 yrs, quads this month....

i am sorry but GVI looks to be more of the same crap as GS3, its only saving grace will be if it actually works and plays nice with your main daw.

dont get me wrong GS3 works great on a stand alone computer, and i have tons of giga boxs out there working great. (Dave Govett even has one and loves his)
    but any other orchestral sample player works fine on the same computer most if not all are and have been dual core/multiprocessor able for some time, and dont crash ever 10 minutes when used with your main daw.

sorry man but i stand by my comment. you really dont want to get me started on tascam as company or those presently in charge.

i wish Dave Govett never sold out to Tascam, i can think of 10 other companies that would have done better. not that long ago Giga was the only answer, it could have stayed that way.

Scott
    ADK

Some good points. The title of this thread really cracks me up. When you are in the business of selling a product people are gonna gripe.

The problem with Gigastudio is there is no demo for a person to know for sure if it will work. People build their systems to accomodate G3 and then find out they still have problems.

They've lost a lot of ground to the competition. Funny how they put a lot of effort to lock down their software and leave the developer out of it. GVI is a bit late for answering to the competition.

GS3 is a nice product. Too bad there aren't enough libraries to support it. The other negative is that it doesn't import more formats like Kontakt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sinner
    Yeh apple would have done better.

And there would be no silly 2 gig of ram problem. And we would have a stable program on a stable osx with the higest potential.

Tascam and MOTU are the companies I have relied upon most and they have let me down.

MOTU sent me a expensive item and didn't even bother to include the instruction manual. Oh by the way it came out of the box busted, had to wait for a very slow return process. Terrible customer service.

PS I am using logic now, wish me luck. This is my first week.

Go apple.

PS the store by Lincoln Center NY, its so cool!

You really think Apple would've done better?

You're paying a hefty price for Logic because they abandoned the Windows platform. There's nothing so stupid as limiting your market by shouting out a platform used by the majority.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast