• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Quartet, 2d Mvt

Share/Bookmark

String Quartet, 2d Mvt

Well, getting this uploaded sure took some time! About 3 hours, I think it was. I don't recommend this site as a good place, but perhaps others have better luck with it. It is an Opera site, but I can not now access it using Opera, only using Firefox. With Opera, I get invalid log in errors. I also got a bunch of server problems from Opera.

More to the point, here is the 2d movement of a string quartet under construction. The articulation needs work, but I need more practice first, and I mean to learn html as soon as possible.

Pentador (2d Movement)
    http://my.opera.com/rwayland/homes/f...d%20Mvt%29.mp3

Richard

Re: String Quartet, 2d Mvt

Richard,

This is quite beautiful. For some reason it reminds me of early American hymns - like shape note harmonies; perhaps it is the triads and use of fifths? I can't quite put my finger on it...but a lovely piece. Seems more diatonically oriented than some of your other works.

On the realization, there could be more dynamic range. The articulation seems ok, but I found, after a while that I wanted more gradations. On the other hand, there is a kind of serenity here, so it still works. Just a thought.

Really enjoyed this.

Ron

Hi Richard,

First of all I have always enjoyed your work, and this is no exception. There are wonderful glimmers of consonance in a forest of dissonance, albeit mild dissonance. This is less so than your other work. Did you feel differently approaching the quartet as opposed to the piano? I really like the harmony; there are a few places where I feel set up to resolve one way, and you instead move in another direction and leave me guessing. It's really effective.

Regarding learning HTML, there's a book I recommend called "Teach Yourself HTML in 24 hours" it goes along with this site http://24hourhtmlcafe.com/(illustrates the lessons in the book). That's what I used as my HTML reference to build my site. And, no, they didn't give me any money to say this (but they should!!!). Anyway, hope that helps.

Joe

Well, I felt I needed to get away from piano compositions for a while, which is why I began this project. Writing for strings is a totally different matter, and I am not a string player. So I stayed on the safe side for this movement; no double stops, harmonics, etc. The harmonies work differently for the strings, the sonorities differ so much, so I had to use a somewhat different approach. I had to make more changes to my original than I usually do for piano, because the dissonances work differently. The dynmanics could probably do with a bit more shadings, but I do like the serenity. The first and third movements will not be serene, and this relief seemed necessary.

Thank for the comments. It helps me over my first midlife crisis this week! I will try to find the book in our local library system.

Richard

Very satisfying -- and moving -- writing in this, Richard.

To me, quartet strings are amongst the most difficult
    ensembles to render well... yet, there are already some
    fine moments in this work.

Looking forward to the completed quartet. Rather a
    departure from much of your piano work; I much enjoyed
    this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Very satisfying -- and moving -- writing in this, Richard.

To me, quartet strings are amongst the most difficult
    ensembles to render well... yet, there are already some
    fine moments in this work.

Looking forward to the completed quartet. Rather a
    departure from much of your piano work; I much enjoyed
    this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Well, string quartet writing is not so easy for me, which is why I thought I ought to work at it a bit.

The second movement is a bit more placid in style than most of my piano music, but look out for the first movement, which is progressing nicely. I have some double stopping that needs veryifying for playability, but I think it will work out. I think it is safe to say that you have never heard anything like it before!

Richard

The best part were the subtle hymm-like melodies that come and go. The overall feeling was surprisingly relaxing. The usual Wayland almost terraced dissonances (suspensions?) sounded very good in this context. I liked it.

(I feel unqualified to comment much on the performance. There were only a few odd too-abrupt note attacks.)

YBaCuO

Go Back to forum