• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reno High Band - Film Music Concert

Reno High Band - Film Music Concert

I wanted to announce that some of my music will be featured in a Film Music Concert, performed by the Reno High School band. The concert is tomorrow, Tuesday 10/10 and Thursday 10/12. Two performances each night at 6:30PM and 8:00PM at the Reno High Auditorium (on Booth Street). They are playing the "Main Titles" from Instinct Vs. Reason, "Mr. Fish" from Captive, and "Ascension" from Ping Shao Han: Ascension. They are performing these cues to the picture, which they are projecting above the band. They are also performing other film soundtracks besides mine. If you have the time, I hope you get a chance to check it out!

I did all the arrangements myself. Since the Kontakt player wouldn't work on the Macbook, I had to guess how it would sound (saxophones, flutes and baritones...sure!), with occasional help from Quicktime's fabulous General MIDI (where everything sounds like a bagpipe).

Score and parts were generated using Finale 2007, where I found the new linked parts feature to be helpful, but limited. (They are off to a great start, but still have a ways to go before that feature is exactly how it ought to work.)

The director really believes that film music is a very important genre, and although we know it, the world will not fully understand for a while. He is doing what he can to educate the public, and also give the students an opportunity to see what it's like to perform soundtracks to the film. They are also recording the concert, so I hope to have mp3's to post someday.

Orcas Island

Re: Reno High Band - Film Music Concert

This is fantastic! Film music is an important genre and it's great you are involved in educating the public as well as students.

Hope the concert is a success. Let us know about the performance. If anyone happens to be in Reno I hope you will attend. Looking forward to hearing the mp3s.

All the best,

Thank you for the well wishes, Gary! I'm very excited!

What a cool idea! I should try that with my band someday!

Dave, if you would like to get in contact with the band's director and discuss him I'm sure he would be more than happy to talk about it. If you are interested, contact me privately and I'll get you his contact info.

Go Back to forum