• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt and Gigastudio on the same system?

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt and Gigastudio on the same system?

Just curious if anyone has both apps on the same system.

I have Kontakt installed on 2 systems and they both have GS 2.54. I don't have the msg32.exe (for GS) running in the background.

How well does Kontakt import GS2 files?

Does Kontakt work fine with hyperthreading enabled?

Re: Kontakt and Gigastudio on the same system?

Hi,

I don't know the answer, but I have the same Q. I have the option of installing Kontakt 2 on a separate machine running Tracktion w/o Giga, or shoving it somewhere the Sonar | Giga Orchestral stack.

I'm suspicious because there were problems installing Acid Pro 6 and Kompakt on the machine with Sonar/Giga, as well as exhausting the machine's capability for MIDI ports, but it may well have been unrelated.

Anyone out there?

Mark Underwood

You mean having both playing at the same time right?

I've tried K2 standalone on my giga Pc, giga would play fine but K2 had drop out. Then i tried K2(vst) thru FX-T and verything was fine...not fully tested tho but working. I was not surprise to have better result with the second option, the logic being that both apps use its own driver/soundcard. Giga use the soundcard on my giga sys, and K2 use the sound card from my daw. The only problem i had was that giga wouldn't load anything once FX-T was open so i have to open giga first, load my template, and then open FX-T... Now that's a major bug, but since i work mostly with fix templates I'll manage, but if you like to load as you go, you're f*** . I'm willing to compromise also because i want to use that wasted ram....That's the only solution i can see for you,.. maby someone wiser has a better idea?

FX-T is a VSTi/Land solution and it's really really cool, here is the link in case you didn't know about it. http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/

P.S. FX-T is really worth the investment IMO, try the demo. But you need a good gigabite swich to have good result...

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001

I've tried K2 standalone on my giga Pc, giga would play fine but K2 had drop out. Then i tried K2(vst) thru FX-T and verything was fine...not fully tested tho but working. I was not surprise to have better result with the second option, the logic being that both apps use its own driver/soundcard. Giga use the soundcard on my giga sys, and K2 use the sound card from my daw. The only problem i had was that giga wouldn't load anything once FX-T was open so i have to open giga first, load my template, and then open FX-T... Now that's a major bug, but since i work mostly with fix templates I'll manage, but if you like to load as you go, you're f*** . I'm willing to compromise also because i want to use that wasted ram....That's the only solution i can see for you,.. maby someone wiser has a better idea?

FX-T is a VSTi/Land solution and it's really really cool, here is the link in case you didn't know about it. http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/

P.S. FX-T is really worth the investment IMO, try the demo. But you need a good gigabite swich to have good result...

Good luck!
    Geron,

Thx for the tip.

Giga is such a heavyweight that I would try my best not to have K2 and Giga open at the same time inside Sonar. Though I'm not sure that Sonar wouldn't try to anyway. It might help, I'm guessing, to have K2 as a DXi... I would try to convert the K2 track(s) to standalone audio and then exit the respective sampler in order to load the other one.

You are one brave soul to try getting both loaded up.

I read about the FX-Max solution a few months back and forgotten about it. Sounded neat [sic], but I am kinda gun-shy after my latest chastening experience (running out of MIDI ports and having to build a second machine... but let's not go there). I may give it a try at some point though.

I realized that Finale is on my DAW machine, and not on the Tracktion box. If I want to use Finale with K2, that is urging me to the 2-sampler solution. (Tracktion's strength is not its midi notation).

I need a Gigabyte switch anyway, for backups. Sure is an expensive hobby.

Cheers,
    Mark Underwood

Quote Originally Posted by knowlengr
    Geron,

Thx for the tip.

Giga is such a heavyweight that I would try my best not to have K2 and Giga open at the same time inside Sonar. Though I'm not sure that Sonar wouldn't try to anyway. It might help, I'm guessing, to have K2 as a DXi... I would try to convert the K2 track(s) to standalone audio and then exit the respective sampler in order to load the other one.
    I just want to be clear about this, i do have giga + K2 on the same machine, but it's not my DAW, it's all samples. I would never have the courage to try that on my daw Pc

You are one brave soul to try getting both loaded up.
    Yes i am, and it took me months to find the courage to do this cause i don't like to fool aroud with this... Note that i was high that day.

I read about the FX-Max solution a few months back and forgotten about it. Sounded neat [sic], but I am kinda gun-shy after my latest chastening experience (running out of MIDI ports and having to build a second machine... but let's not go there). I may give it a try at some point though.
    It took me at least a year before i found the courage to try that one too, seriously. But it was totaly worth it. I know people that works only with FX-T, no more midi/soudcard with multiple out put etc... I think FX-T is a must! Go for it. You shoul also look into MOL(midi over land) if you want more midi port.

You got that right!

See ya!

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    No, I meant having them installed on the same machine. GS has a process running even when it's not used.

How well does Kontakt import Giga 2 files?

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    No, I meant having them installed on the same machine. GS has a process running even when it's not used.

How well does Kontakt import Giga 2 files?
    I haven't done that but i hear it's a hit and miss kind of thing...the more complex the instrument is, the harder it is to import. My sugestion is to ask on NI's forum
    if anyone managed to translate your library.

Good luck!

Go Back to forum