• Register
  • Help

Topic: Machine out of tune?

Machine out of tune?

Ran into a very weird problem. We're running two machines, Identical PCs that were built for us. All have worked fine for nearly 6 months. This problem started in Giga 3 - so we switched to Kontakt 2. Same problem.

Machine 1 - tuning is normal - Machine 2 - In order to hear an A=440, you've got to play the F# below. And... this pitch is actually a little flat to a real F#. This happens when sending and receiving MIDI, playing from the on-screen keyboard, and playing the tuning note in the master section of Kontakt.

We've checked transposition, and all is at 0.

We tried goofing with the sample rate, and while changing the pitch, didn't put the machine back in tune.

Running a PC Intel 3.4, Gina 24 audio card, MOTU MIDI interfaces.

We're stumped - any help would be appreciated!

Re: Machine out of tune?

This definitely sounds like a case of a bad sample rate.

I had a similar problem when I tried running the GPO Kontakt player on the same machine as GS2.5. I forget the exact details, but I think I could load up some sounds on Giga, and then load GPO, but then the sample rate got corrupted.

First, I'd check that you don't have multiple apps competing for the sound card. If you have another soundcard laying about, you might put it in as a temporary test. It could be that the clock on the card went nutty.

Thanks, Jon.

We'll pull the soundcard from the working machine and give that a go.
    I'll let you know if that works or not.

Thanks again,

That was it. We swapped sound cards and then the first machine was out of tune. We'll replace the unit. BTW Odd - after about an hour, the card sort of "fixes itself". It will be out of tune for a while, then all of a sudden, it will flip back and be OK. Anybody want to buy at Gina 24?

Thanks for the help,

Looks the like the phase-locked-loop gets unlocked at times.

Glad you found the problem!

I've noticed with the AP2496 and FW 410 if you set the buffers low the sample rate will change to 48.

Go Back to forum