• Register
  • Help

Topic: To RAID or not to RAID...that is the question

Mesquite (Dallas)

To RAID or not to RAID...that is the question

My old computer is definately on its last legs and I am in the process of having a new computer custom built. I want it to be a Ferrari, yet dependable. Other than GPO I have some large music libraries that I will house on a separate D drive, but as for my operating C drive I would like it to be as fast and powerful as the law allows. I understand two separate drives utilized as one "C Drive" with RAID 0 striping is supposed to be good for performance, but I have also heard that it is not very stable and may even be overkill for DFD. Anyone use RAID 0 on their systems or have any suggestions re: the RAID dilemma?

"The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Re: To RAID or not to RAID...that is the question

I would recommend a Raptor without RAID for a fast, yet reliable system drive. If you do go with RAID 0, use a separate hardware controller from a top manufactuer. Don't go with the on-board RAID controllers. The on-board controllers often aren't as fast (they sap CPU power), nor as reliable as the dedicated ones. There are many on NSS who have lost their drive content with on-board-controlled RAIDs.

Also, if you go with a RAID 0 array, spend some time and money on a good backup system - you may need it!

Re: To RAID or not to RAID...that is the question

Sounds like a bad idea. You need lots of RAM and CPU power more than a faster C Drive.

Go Back to forum