• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Taps for Maynard

OT: Taps for Maynard

From the SibeliusMusic Tech Page:
    Sib. 4.1: OT: Taps for Maynard
    Posted by Richard Smith (Home page) - 00:03, 13 Oct 2006 -

Take this link http://www.walterwhite.com/maynard.htm and click the "Taps for Maynard" link on the page. It's a great tribute to Maynard Ferguson.

Richard Smith
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/

Re: OT: Taps for Maynard

Raise your hand if you saw him play at a local High School

One of my best friends played the Rhodes with his band.
    What a nice tribute,
    RIP Maynard

Quote Originally Posted by johnmarkpainter
    Raise your hand if you saw him play at a local High School
    ooh ooh Mr. Painter!!!

OK, not at the high school proper, but he was playing at the local college, and gave a concert for the local high schools.

Not only got to see him, but he donated a chart to my highschool jazz band! And, spent more than a few minutes talking to us and introducing us to some of the other players.

A real class act!

In fact, I remember only one big band that came through town that was downright obnoxious, and they'll go nameless, but in general most of the bands were more than willing to chat with us. At least for a few minutes...

Only two gave us charts though, Maynard and the US Air Force Jazz Band, who did play in our gym! Lovely acoustics<G>!

Over the years I'd have to say that most of the musicians I've seen have been accessible. One that really sticks in my mind is Dave Brubeck. Went to see him on a very snowy night, and because so many folks coming to the second show cancelled they let us first show folks stick around. As it happened, we were sitting behind his son during the first show, and when I asked him if he was in fact one of the sons he invited us back stage to meet his Dad.

Yeah, I don't know if it is still the same, but back then it was pretty cool to be a fan!!!

Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise

<<and the US Air Force Jazz Band, who did play in our gym!>>

Ah..."The Airmen of Note"...they had that insane Trombone player in the 80's

Go Back to forum