• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GVI RAM load limit

Share/Bookmark

GVI RAM load limit

Seems to be about twice what I could get from GS3, subtracting about 100MB or so from what's shown in task manager to account for Cubase. This is on a machine with 4GB RAM, in 32 bit XP, booting with the /3GB switch.

Re: GVI RAM load limit

Jay,

Cool! How many instances of GVI did you run to use that much ram? Did the system perform well in other areas while doing this? (Lots of polyphony, simultaneous DAW audio playback, video playback, general system stability ,etc, etc...)

Do tell.

Belbin

I haven't really stressed it yet. This was just to see how much it would load.

It did play back OK at a basic level though. No crashes yet. When it gets to the limit of what it wants to load it simply doesn't load any more - in that case the instrument doesn't appear in the UI, but there is no error type message otherwise.

I don't have any projects using GVI yet. I just got it today.

fizbin

Thanks a lot for reporting Fizbin. So how many instance of GVI did you have to open to use all that ram?

Thanks in advance.

Just the one instance - there are nine pianos loaded, a Larry Seyer drum kit, and some other smaller sample sets. The stacked instruments in the picture were Studio Grand 88, White Grand, and the Larry Seyer acoustic drum kit.

As of now, its my understanding that GVI has a problem with multiple instances on a dual core machine with multi-proc enabled in Cubase and Pro Tools. Reports are that they are working on a fix for this. I'll test that out tonight after work.

fizbin

It was definitely *not* possible to load 2 instances of GVI on my machine in Cubase with multi-proc support enabled. It immediately killed Cubase. I'm eagerly waiting on the promised fix.

It seemed to have no problem reaching the 256 (EDIT: I was mistaken here - see below - the actual max voices is 5868) voice limit per instance in the one instance. I played a busy sustain-pedal-heavy piece into three large piano sample sets and got there pretty quickly. As it hit the limit, I didn't notice any artifacts if it was dropping notes, so it seems to do that fairly gracefully, or at least it wasn't noticeable as the newer notes were covering it up. Not sure why they don't let you try to allow more than 256 voices per instance though. I guess that setting is probably global for all instances so they would all have the same limit. If you need more voices you'd have to use another instance I guess.

Jay

there is a limit to # of voices?...also can you send all 16 outs to a seperate mixer channel in the host app?

Quote Originally Posted by digitalson
    there is a limit to # of voices?...also can you send all 16 outs to a seperate mixer channel in the host app?
    Yes, it seems the limit is 256 (EDIT: actually 5868) voices per instance of GVI. There are 16 stereo outs per instance.

Jay

Go into the configuration window and raise the maximum polyphony.

- G

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    Go into the configuration window and raise the maximum polyphony.

- G

Yes - sorry, I missed this. Next to the slider which sets the max polyphony, there is a box where you can set the max polyphony which the max polyphony slider can set. (*Redundant?)

So the actual maximum you can set the polyphony to per instance is 5868, which would probably be impossible to hit in reality. Sorry for the error.

Go Back to forum