• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "The Asteroid Field" in Kirk Hunter Emerald

Share/Bookmark

"The Asteroid Field" in Kirk Hunter Emerald

Something for the inner geek in all of us...

I wanted to get to know fully my Kirk Hunter Emerald for Kontakt 2, so I decided to set myself a challenge and try to get as close to a live recording as I could by only using KHSO Emerald. I chose "The Asteroid Field" from The Empire Strikes Back mostly because its a much more exciting and better orchestrated pieces than I'll ever write. I found a standard midi file on the internet, then I put that and the actual recording side by side and made many modifications to the midi. I don't know many people who would find this interesting besides myself and others on this forum.

http://www.johnmdavis.com/K2/KH%20As...0Mastered.aiff

FYI, it is a large (65MB) 24bit 441. AIFF file. I didn't like the way the MP3 sounded after working on the real thing for so long. I shudder to tell you how long this took -- I probably should have been doing something more productive with my time. However, as intended, it was a great learning experience. I really had to trick out the trumpets to get close to that famous L.S.O brass sound.

Further FYI, if you watch this scene in the movie, it's amazing how poorly it matches the action. No doubt Williams scored it then the scene was drastically recut; it ends correctly but starts arbitrarily, all the internal hits are off, and the big fanfares don't fall where they should. It's still a great pices by itself.

Re: "The Asteroid Field" in Kirk Hunter Emerald

Great demo. I could hear all the work you put into it. The trumpets could use some help, though, mostly to keep up with the amazing string and wind sound. You might try a library like Project SAM Brass for some Hollywood-sounding trumpets. The performance also seemed a bit stiff in some places, you might lighten up on the quantizing to let it breathe.

Again, amazing job.

I think Mr. Hunter will most-likely ask you if he can put this on his website.

I probably should have been doing something more productive with my time.
    Well if he ask you, you could ask for a free copy of the upcoming Ruby in exchange. That way it wouldn'd feel like a waste of time...or maybe just 50% off...

I agree with analoge regarding quantizing... I also think that some of the repetitions sound a little too mechanichal. I think if you were to play a little with the velocity some of it would go away, maybe?

Over all i would say great job!... pretty amazing what you can do with a lib that's worth what?..around $300.

P.S. Someone should contact Kirk to let him know about that, I'm sure he'll be proud...

Nice work. It's a great piece.

It's a bit harsher sounding that what I'm used to with Emerald, particularly the brass. I've got Emerald here also and my trumpets don't get that grainy sounding when I push them. Possibly the mastering?

Also ... the file has about 4 hours of blank space at the end of the music.
    At least my download did.
    You could probably get the files size down by 20MB just by deleting the end
    of the file where there is no sound.

JMDNYC,

Don't know what happened, but I tried both playing your piece directly from your post as well as downloading it, and it sounds like it's playing at 2 to 3 times faster than normal playback; kinda like playing a 33-1/3 LP at 78 RPM. (Does that date me, or what?)

I'm running Windows XP - x64 bit Edition, but I didn't know it was THAT much faster than 32-bit windows!!!

Maybe the MP3 version wouldn't such a bad idea after all.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by skallman
    JMDNYC,

Don't know what happened, but I tried both playing your piece directly from your post as well as downloading it, and it sounds like it's playing at 2 to 3 times faster than normal playback; kinda like playing a 33-1/3 LP at 78 RPM. (Does that date me, or what?)

I'm running Windows XP - x64 bit Edition, but I didn't know it was THAT much faster than 32-bit windows!!!

Steve
    he! I had the same problem when i tried to play it directly , it was quit funny...but the download was OK... I forgot to mention it...

Quote Originally Posted by skallman
    JMDNYC,

Steve
    This will be a a sample rate issue. Your PC is playing it back at 48kHz instead of 44.1kHz (or whatever the correct sample rate is).

I had the same problem playing from the link and playing the download in (the most current version) of quicktime. I couldn't import it into Sonar either. It didn't sound right until I played it in Premiere.
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

Same here,
    the file is playing at double (triple ?) speed, no matter I open it online or download it.... I tried to make adjustments in QT, but to no avail.
    Would like to listen to it, though !

I got it to play fine in Audacity.

I think it sounds great. I am really considering getting some KH libraries, I like the sound of the strings.

Go Back to forum