• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus and Sonar...Help...

Share/Bookmark

Stylus and Sonar...Help...

Hey all...

OK. I've given up on trying to wrap my head around using Stylus RMX in Sonar 6. I need your help! Let me start by saying I have found it exhilarating creating mesmeric grooves within Stylus RMX. It's when I start putting them together in Sonar where the headaches begin...

OK. I've loaded a track template as seen in the video with 8 tracks of midi and audio and have managed to drag and drop four individual groove elements into Sonar and listen to them as a complete groove like I am auditioning within Stylus.

But it seems like what I'm dragging into Sonar changes constantly...to put it simply, when I drag a groove (say Aphrodesiac Native 1) into the proper track it plays fine...next I want to play Aphrodesiac Native 2. I drag it to start immediately after AN1 and when it all plays together, one of them is changed from what I dragged into there. ie it has an awkward, off-time stuttering or plays a completely new groove altogether.

Same with if I take a groove and capture the Chaos. Drag it into my track. OK...then I take the same groove and capure a slightly different Chaos and drag it to start immediately after the first one. When I play the sequence in my host, one of the two parts is drastically changed.

I appreciate the help, as I'd love to learn this program. Thanks!

Re: Stylus and Sonar...Help...

im not familiar with Sonar but it sounds as if those grooves were assigned to the same part in RMX.
    they need to be on 2 seperate parts to be played back in sequence or simulatenously.

best
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler
    im not familiar with Sonar but it sounds as if those grooves were assigned to the same part in RMX.
    they need to be on 2 seperate parts to be played back in sequence or simulatenously.

best
    Hans
    Hans is exactly right, you need to change the RMX output to a different part. If you follow the Stylus RMX and Sonar video EXACTLY it should work fine. What is happening is one midi pattern is triggering the "wrong" groove. Or both midi patterns are triggering one groove, one of which is the correct one and one isn't.

Thanks...Alright, so I guess where I was confused is the fact that the Midi data is triggering slices, not individual hit samples? (I am completely MIDI-challenged)

So basically, you need to put each groove and each Chaos-ed groove on a different channel altogether - like you'd put each groove Element on each of Stylus' 8 channels?

So you typically will fill up all 8 channels of two or three instances of Stylus in order to finish a song, between Groove Elements, song changes and Chaos-ed up grooves?

Not really.

Chaos'ed grooves can trigger the original groove element part of course. You don't need separate parts for every chaos'ed variation.

It simply needs to trigger the correct sound...ie: the original element that it was created from.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsanders
    But it seems like what I'm dragging into Sonar changes constantly...to put it simply, when I drag a groove (say Aphrodesiac Native 1) into the proper track it plays fine...next I want to play Aphrodesiac Native 2. I drag it to start immediately after AN1 and when it all plays together, one of them is changed from what I dragged into there. ie it has an awkward, off-time stuttering or plays a completely new groove altogether.

You can't do this. If you choose another groove, you have to give the second groove a seperate output track, not place it in the same track. Otherwise, one of the midi patterns of the two grooves are triggering the "wrong" groove.

The video shows how this is done. Alternatively, you can open up a seperate audio and midi track in Sonar, connect the output of the midi to the audio and drag your groove to the midi track. And if you want another groove, open up another connected midi/audio pairs (not forgetting to give it a different output number that the other one).

However, like Eric says, you can put/drag a chaos generated groove and a non chaos groove midi pattern in the same midi track as long as the groove is the same one for both chaos and non-chaos parts.

Go Back to forum