• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tutorial Project coming along

Share/Bookmark

Tutorial Project coming along

Progress is going very well on the tutorial project. Me and Kevin (the original tech support team) have been recording the teaching sessions all this week and are almost done with the main interface. Next we\'ll tackle the Editor.
    I started with details on backing up old GigaSampler stuff and uninstalling and covered the installation and registration of GigaStudio. Then we have a quick and dirty overview of the whole interface. Next is the process of getting sounds from disk in various formats onto the hard drive, finding them, loading them and messing with them once they are loaded. Today we covered the mixing path and dsp, the MIDI control surface mixer and output offsets and a detailed S-Converter lesson.
    Now I\'m loading 30 sound effects disks to teach about the distributed wave and foley engine and searching.
    In the editor, we will cover basic to advanced instrument design, using complete instruments that will be included with the tutorial package. (a great DX7 that is well recorded and an intentionally horrible drum kit that will probably ironically be a huge hit. We have sampled a badly tuned jamming drum kit to cassette tape through distant mics. It even has tarnished and cracked cymbals and a squeaky kick drum pedal)
    The only catch is you have to assemble the instruments yourself using what we teach you. (a final exam of sorts)
    We will also get into techiques of sequencing on the same machine and getting the audio to work. The whole project is un-scripted and unrehearsed but very slick looking and informative.
    I\'ll keep you all informed as the project progresses. Feel free to post questions or requests for things as I go. I\'ll be checking the threads.
    Later
    David Govett

Re: Tutorial Project coming along

Hi David
    Will the tutorial be avalible on cd or VHS tape .
    Do you know what the cost will be ?
    I hope it is free or cheap to regestered Gigastudio owners.

The format will be CD-ROM to start with but with the possibility of makeing a video. I\'m editing everything in full resolution video and sound and then rendering to the compressed final format for the CD-ROM. This gives me the option to spit out a linear video of this project once the CD-ROM part is done. I\'m doing this independently in much the way a library developer does the libraries so it won\'t be free on my end. It will probably list for $49.99 or so and that includes some tutorial instruments that are alone worth that price. However the catch is that you have to assemble them yourself which should be easy if you go through the program.
    Take care
    David Govett

Hi Dave,

Any chance the tutorial will cover how to re-tune rogue notes (i.e.Ultimate strings pizz cellos and violins have some out of tune notes?)

Any chance it will show how to edit the audio of the sample (i.e. Quantum brass trombone when played softly has a rogue note stike right bfore the note you want)

I\'m sure these are probably a breeze to do...but...I don\'t know how.

Hoping the video will give some clues on how to tweak existing libraries\' faults.

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Any chance the tutorial will cover how to re-tune rogue notes (i.e.Ultimate strings pizz cellos and violins have some out of tune notes...which I\'ve tried to re-tune in the editor but find suddenly the notes have dropped octave even when I only tweak it a few cents sharper or flatter)

Any chance it will show how to edit the audio of the sample (i.e. Quantum brass trombone when played softly has a rogue note sound right before the note you want...so I want to edit that out)

Hoping the video will give some clues on how to tweak existing libraries\' faults.

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Any chance the tutorial will cover how to re-tune rogue notes (i.e.Ultimate strings pizz cellos and violins have some out of tune notes...which I\'ve tried to re-tune in the editor but find suddenly the notes have dropped octave even when I only tweak it a few cents sharper or flatter)

Any chance it will show how to edit the audio of the samples (i.e. Quantum brass trombone when played softly has a rogue note sound right before the note you want...so I want to edit that out)

Thanks

Here is my response to your email.

\"I\'ve tried posting at northernsounds but no luck.\"
    (Looks like it worked after all three times!!)

just wanted to say hoping the tuorial will show very very basic tweaks like adjusting intonation of a rogue sample (i.e. Ultimate strings pizz cellos and violins). i\'ve tried tweaking a few cents only to find it has dropped a whole octave or more)

(make sure you are adjusting the fine tuning and not the unity note. (in the editor) If your tweaking on the MIDI channel in the main interface, you need to change it from tuning to fine tuning. I will be covering all this in detail. We will go button by button in the editor and demonstrate drag & drop mapping, wizard tool, tweaking, the works. We\'ll start with a single looped sample and map it and demonstrate every parameter edit that can be done to that single sample.)

also, how to edit the sample\'s audio (i.e. Quantum brass bass trombone slow velocity....one hears a wrong note being played right before the actual note you want played...so I want to clip that out).[David Govett]

(Of course we\'ll cover that. For now, you need to open the instrument in the Editor. Go to Edit\\Preferences and select your audio editor of choice in that screen. (Sound fordge, cool edit etc.) GigaStudio doesn\'t include any audio editing so you need to use your own audio editor. Then in the sample window on the lower left of the Editor screen you need to locate the sample you want to edit. To find which sample you want to edit, you need to click on the region of the note (Long white lines below keyboard) it is on and you will see it\'s name in the Velocity Map. (Big rectangle) Find that sample in the sample window and right click on the sample. One of the options is \"edit audio\" That will lauch your audio editor with that sample ready to edit. Make your edits, hit save and exit the audio editor. You will need to do a full save of the instrument and it should be good to go. Hope this help in while you await the tutorial.
    We should be done with the teaching sessions by the end of the week. I will edit and produce all of December and hopefully be releasing it at the NAMM show in Jan. List price should be 49.99 or so.)

so....just wanting some tips on how to tweak existing libraries\' faults.

(I think we will have it covered. Also, once it is released, we\'ll get feedback from people and release some free updates with that feedback.)
    Take care
    David Govett

[This message has been edited by David Govett (edited 11-30-2001).]

The price seems very reasonable.
    Thanks Dave.

Hi. This is my first post at this site.

I was just curious as to how David Govett\'s CD-ROM Tutorial Project was coming along...

Does anyone have any news?

Sounds good guys.
    Visa\'s already to swipe!!
    Brian

Go Back to forum